Carol Murphy
Carol Murphy
  • Port Richey, FL

5 Steps For A Butterfly Garden

Planting a butterfly garden is a great way to beautify your yard and help attract many of the different butterflies found in your community. It's one of the most popular hobbies today. Most butterfly gardens are also a magnet for hummingbirds, bees, and other beneficial insects, the pollinators. Also a productive butterfly garden does not require a large land area—even a few key plants can make a huge impact.
Starting with what I had - 4 plastic napkin rings and jute. I glued jute around napkin rings.
Napkin rings finished. I had saved a honey jar. Removed label and dried jar.
First, I made a knot in the end of the jute. I wrapped the jute around the top of the jar and cut the cord long enough to make a handle (which is more for looks than use). I made a knot in the other end and pulled it through the wrapped jute to tie it.
Second, I put a dab of glue on the glass at the bottom of the jar, but the jute would slip off even more than on plastic. Again I put a small piece of tape on end of glued jute to fasten it to the glass jar. I applied glue on top of the tape and under jute as I wrapped around jar. I snipped the jute and applied glue to the end. I held it down with the side of the scissors.
This is the finished jar with jute added. I put shells in jar for coastal look.
Fished jar and rings.
For a coastal look I added shells to jar.
Rustic napkin rings and jar for coastal, cottage, country looks
easy diy rustic accessories for coastal cottage or country table
First do some research. Since butterflies are insects, insecticides will kill them. Learn more natural, organic garden pest control. 
Second look for plants that are native to your area. The native species are the ones that are genetically ready to deal with natural predators in your garden. Native plants make beautiful, functional and environmentally smart additions to any type of garden. Find the plants appropriate to your area and a draw for butterflies.  You'll notice that some plants draw several kinds of butterflies.
Third, a well-planned butterfly garden can appeal to many different butterflies. It also can cater to both the adults and their larvae (caterpillars). Know what you want before you design. Proper garden design and choice of plants are essential. Such decisions will help influence which butterflies are attracted, remain in the area, and reproduce there.  If you want your garden filled with growing butterflies, you have to be willing for some plants to be eaten.  Caterpillars only grow into butterflies when they have a food source.  Raising Butterflies is an excellent site with information on butterflies in general and details on specific butterflies.
Fourth All insects are cold-blooded and cannot internally regulate their body temperature. Butterflies will readily bask in the sun when it is warm out, but few are seen on cloudy days. It is a good idea to leave open areas in a yard for butterflies to sun themselves, as well as partly shady areas like trees or shrubs, so they can hide when it’s cloudy or cool off if it is very hot.  This will also provide shelter during high winds.
Fifth Butterflies also like puddles. Males of several species congregate at small rain pools, forming puddle clubs. Permanent puddles are very easy to make by burying a bucket to the rim, filling it with gravel or sand, and then pouring in liquids such as stale beer, sweet drinks or water. Overripe fruit, allowed to sit for a few days is a very attractive substance to them as well.  Use a bird bath or a raised clay saucer to raise the fruit off the ground.0
Butterfly Nectar Preferences and Larval Food Plants There is a free printable list of butterflies, larval plants and nectar plants.
The butterfly names  are links that will take you to a photo of the butterfly and is followed by native region for the butterfly.    Below the name are 2 lines: First line has the plants needed for the butterfly to lay eggs. Second line has the plants preferred for nectar for an adult butterfly. This list is by no means complete but has some of the most common butterflies.

• Plants
  • Fruit

Carol Murphy