How do I tell the difference between weeds & a plants?

GinnyColleen Sturma ReynoldsLea Swenson
+4

I have all these different little green plants poking up through the soil & I know they all aren't plants.
  • Mona

A weed is defined as any plant that is where you don't want it to be. So if these startups are not where you planted something you want to keep, pull it up.
  • Pat

I always have to wait till the unknown plant is a little taller then if I don't recognize it, I pull it out.
  • Mfbandit769

It's ridiculously simple. Google weed pictures for your zone on the internet.
  • Jane Sprague

Thanks!
  • Lea Swenson

Some "weeds" are actually pretty and useful (herbs, teas, etc). It is all up to you whether you want them or not. :)
  • Colleen Sturma Reynolds

I wait and see if it blooms! If it blooms I keep it. After a year or two you should be able to recognize which is which.
  • Ginny

1. Pull up samples of the "unknown" plants and put them in a Zip Lock bag.
    2. Take samples to your local garden center.
    3. Ask their head gardener to identify for you if he or she is able.
    4. Ask the head gardener for advice on what to do.
    5. When in doubt, always seek professional advice because it can save you stress and poor advice from those of us who are not necessarily knowledgeable about flowers and lawn care.