How to water plants when away on vacation?

JustmeNicole FrancesPat
+2

• Depends on how long you will be away but you could try wicks.

Self-watering wicks, available at garden supply stores, are a great option. These wicks go into a container of water on one end, and into the soil of the plant on the other. The wick automatically draws up as much water as your plant needs.

Indoor or outdoor plants?
  • Pat

I have a nice neighbor that will come and do it for me if I am going to be gone longer than a week. You can get the self watering globes that you can stick in each plant and waters as needed. As Elizabeth said, the wicking system will work. I have heard of people putting their houseplant in the bathrub with a little water that absorbs up into the pot (if it is the right kind). For outside plants, get a sprinkler and a hose....put a timer on it and it will water at the same time every day.
  • Nicole Frances

You can make self watering bottles.
    Using a small pop bottle, poke a hole in the bottom of the lid. You can try to fit in a small straw.
    Add the water until full. Gently turn upside down and put the straw end into the soil of the plant. Make sure it's going to work before you walk away. :) But it should hold your plant until you return from your trip.
  • Justme

If they're outside you can use a sprinker/drip set up with a timer. Inside I'd use a wick system