Hot Glue Placemats

$3

My hot glue gun is probably my most used craft tool. It's always my go to when I need to secure something fast and for long. However, i've never looked at it to be my main medium. I decided to try my hand at hot glue placemats. This is by far my easiest DIY ever!
I started with a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper.
I then took my dinner plate turned upside down and traced around it about 1/2 away from the edge.

TIP* Tie a string to your pen and hold it in the middle of your plate to create a perfect circle!

Now the fun part. Trace the outline with a nice line of hot glue. Once your boundaries are set, go wild!
Criss cross, zig zag and overlap all your glue lines to create a one of a kind pattern. Just be just these lines touch your border so everything becomes one.
Once your glue has cooled down and hardened, spray paint it your color of choice.

I also decided to use a tweezers to remove all the little hot glue "hairs" that were left behind before painting but this is not necessary.
I LOVE the color blue I chose against my white table. These placemats jazz up any ol place setting too.
I made a set for my mom to use at her pool so the wind won't blow anything away since they are a bit tacky. Now, I know these aren't very wipeable but we're more so going to ascetic rather than practical. These would also be perfect for your Memorial Day or 4th of July party! Paint them red, white and blue to dress up your pain white table!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Michelle Faust

I was just wondering if maybe this idea might work for under toddlers plates to keep them from sliding around while they’re eating. I would probably just rinse off after the meal and let air dry. Just wondering if the “cold” glue gun would be better then the “hot” one.

• Lyn

I had the same idea, but my grandkids are older and past that stage.

• Judy Taylor

Where is par.paper did you use it or did you just use it to trace the round cirole and put the glue on it to dry then you. Removed it you did a good Job on it I would like to try this myself thank you

• SueBee

Walmart carries parchment paper also. It's with the plastic wrap, aluminum foil, etc.

• Em

doesn't this make your plate wobble?

• ElMar

Poss idea... You could draw a design of your choosing on the parchment - then use your glue stick to copy the design. Paint how you want! Can be used as decorative placemats, runners or wall hanging. Try your favorite saying, your kids names for their bedrooms... possibilities go on and on... 👍🤗

• Linda

You can use a hair dryer to blow away those little hairs left by the glue gun.