Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

Hot Glue Placemats

$3

My hot glue gun is probably my most used craft tool. It's always my go to when I need to secure something fast and for long. However, i've never looked at it to be my main medium. I decided to try my hand at hot glue placemats. This is by far my easiest DIY ever!
hot glue placemats
I started with a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper.
hot glue placemats
I then took my dinner plate turned upside down and traced around it about 1/2 away from the edge.

TIP* Tie a string to your pen and hold it in the middle of your plate to create a perfect circle!

hot glue placemats
Now the fun part. Trace the outline with a nice line of hot glue. Once your boundaries are set, go wild!
hot glue placemats
Criss cross, zig zag and overlap all your glue lines to create a one of a kind pattern. Just be just these lines touch your border so everything becomes one.
hot glue placemats
Once your glue has cooled down and hardened, spray paint it your color of choice.

I also decided to use a tweezers to remove all the little hot glue "hairs" that were left behind before painting but this is not necessary.
hot glue placemats
I LOVE the color blue I chose against my white table. These placemats jazz up any ol place setting too.
hot glue placemats
I made a set for my mom to use at her pool so the wind won't blow anything away since they are a bit tacky. Now, I know these aren't very wipeable but we're more so going to ascetic rather than practical. These would also be perfect for your Memorial Day or 4th of July party! Paint them red, white and blue to dress up your pain white table!

• Jacqueline Ann Marchetti

Did U use a large glue gun or a small one? Did it stay together pretty good or did you have to keep patching it? You are one talented gal. Keep the crafting ideas coming. Have a blessed day.

• Katrina

Looks like a small glue gun was used. I personally would use another piece of parchment and an iron and just do a quick swipe across for any purely glue hairs.

• Michelle

I was just wondering if maybe this idea might work for under toddlers plates to keep them from sliding around while they’re eating. I would probably just rinse off after the meal and let air dry. Just wondering if the “cold” glue gun would be better then the “hot” one.

• Michele Morgan

One thing to think about before doing this is will your toddler try to eat it? I know my kids and grandkids all would put anything and everything in their mouths! I wouldn't want to risk that. If anything u could hot glue just the bottom of the bowl to use it in that way. Of course u could only hand wash it. And u wouldn't be able to soak it or it would just come off. So idk. Something 2 think about.

• Judy Taylor

Where is par.paper did you use it or did you just use it to trace the round cirole and put the glue on it to dry then you. Removed it you did a good Job on it I would like to try this myself thank you

• Christine

I have always seen white parchment paper at Dollar Tree. Save a dollar or two. 👍

• Suzanne

I will try this. . Looks fun & simple. We'll see.

• Mary Joyce Kennedy

I will try this looks great an easy. Im thinking of making a purple dream catcher with this idea.