Wood putty help- any tips?

John BoutwellLindaJustme
+4

When I fill nail holes or cracks in trim or wood I can't get them smooth enough. I even add more putty.
Any tip to help me with this
  • Judy Clark

Start out using only a small amount and then add to it. I use an old credit card to smooth in between applications.
  • I usually try to layer it- apply as much putty as you can with your finger, then smooth over the top with a putty knife removing as much excess as possible. Allow it dry completely then lightly sand if possible. (Those spongy sanding blocks are wonderful for uneven surfaces like molding.) Wipe with a tack rag and repeat the process with a final sand and tack until the hole is level and filled.
    You might also try to add just drop of water to a bit of the putty before application to thin it, or, depending on how deep the crack/hole is, fill in with some wood glue and let dry before adding the putty.
    Since putty is a different substance than the fibrous wood, it will feel different than the wood. Making it level may be the best you can do.
    I hope this helps!
  • Leesa Osborne

i just apply it with my finger tip then after it's dried I sometimes have to add more. It just depends on what im
    filling.
  • Justme

All good advice before me. Applying a little and letting it dry before adding to it may help. What I use for bigger holes like for door jam screws is Bondo for cars.
    A contractor told me that. It doesn't shrink and leaves a smooth surface and is easily painted
  • Linda

I've never tried bondo but see furniture painters use it. Have to try it.
  • John Boutwell

for small nail holes use toothpaste just wipe it on with your finger then paint