Is it necessary to use drapes if you have blinds?

IrisDebbie GentileAlyce
+11

• Marsha Smith Jonjock

We have blinds on all of our windows (no drapes or curtains). However, to keep the light out, we purchased a roll of window tint and applied it. That has also helped with our electric bill by cutting down the heat coming through our windows. Hope this was helpful.

That is a matter of your style.
  • It's not necessary, it is, after all, your choice, but to warm up the décor, it is nice to have something other than the blinds. You might want to close the blinds turn on the lights and have someone go outside to see what is visible through the blinds to help you make the decision.
  • C. D. Scallan

It's not necessary , its a matter of personal preference . I have both, but the window that I have both in (its actually three windows in the dining room ) faces the morning sun. The drapes help with insulation against heat in the summer . I have light blockers in the bedroom . Do what you think is the best for you .
  • Jen'e Watmuff

Instead of drapes use a valence. Looks much nicer.
  • Bobbie

It depends on the style of blinds you are using. Some blinds are very see-thru at night. Check yours out and if you can thru at night, I'd add drapes or curtains.
  • Nancy Gramm

I too have both. Mostly though mine are either just wooden or bamboo blinds. Sometimes I think I may want to add something to soften the edges on those that are just blinds, and I plan and plan, but still haven't done a thing. Queen of procrastination, that's me.
  • Justme

Of course it's not necessary. It's your place, do what you want. I have some with and some without.
  • J

i have used only wooden blinds for the last 8 years. I asked my interior designer friend whether I should add a fabric window treatment and she said no.
  • Alyce

Not if you don't want to. If you have a big difference between your house and others most people in New England don't use anything on their windows.

Alyce
  • Debbie Gentile

Blinds have a nice clean uncluttered look for "today" and of course provides privacy. My current home is small and blinds only are perfect for our taste preferences in this house.
    But I'm well aware that fabric can add softness, color and specific styles to your decor.
    I used to make custom window treatments for a living so I think it's all in what makes you happy.
  • Iris

Really a matter of choice.