If you plant sweet potatos in you flower bed will they actually grow?

JustmeBarleysuePat

The plants are really pretty but will they grow sweet potato?!
  • Pat

I aked that same question today....I bought two plants for my flower pot and mentioned to the Earl May clerk that the one I grew last year had a big sweet potato in the pot when I emptied it. I ask if it was edible and he said yes, you can but it is not tasty like regular sweet potatoes but is not poison. He went on to say, you could plant it by cutting the eyes and planting them just like white potatoes. To answer your question....yes, they will grow in your flower bed and be beautiful...they are not tall growing but like to spread out. That is why I bought a green plant and a red plant.
  • Barleysue

My vines produced some really awful-looking, gnarly potatoes. I never had the nerve to try to eat them.
  • Justme

The sweet potato you planted could have been a different variety than you're use to. Try planting one from the potatoes you bought. It'll be great!