How can I determine where the smell is coming from in a bedroom?

JustmeJoan GasparC. D. Scallan
+5

The bedroom is in the lower level. It almost smells like "old", mold or mildew. But the carpet isn't wet or no stains on walls. I can't store anything in there because it ends up with the odor.
  • Veronica Petracchi

Have you put any order elimantator in there. I know the dollar stores have a thing called odor eliminator and it actually works. It's just a container you remove the top and set it wherever. The problem may be very deep in the walls or floor and without ripping up either it might be hard to tell where it i coming from. I'm not sure if a professional might be able to tell either.
    • Jmh9603698

I am afraid there is something going on deep in the walls since I've tried so many things. Will have to get a professional to help. Thanks for response.
  • C. D. Scallan

Have you checked the closet and the ceiling in the closet?
    • Jmh9603698

Actually, no I never thought about the closet. I will check the closet and ceiling just to be sure not coming from there. Thanks.
  • Joan Gaspar

Though you can't see/feel wet carpet perhaps that part of the house is just damp.Have you tried one of those damp rid products or a dehumidifier?They make a hanging moisture product for closets too that collects moisture.If they're filling with water then you know it's damp,then change them as needed then you can deodorize.
  • Justme

If Damp Rid type products aren't working, you probably have a real problem. You should probably consider hiring a contractor to come out and use a dampness reader to find out exactly where it is. No sense pulling apart a whole wall if it's in the ceiling or floor. It could be a very easy fix. Good luck!
    • Jmh9603698

I think I do have a real problem, I have tried air purifiers, odor eliminators and damp rid. I will have to call a contractor because I'm sick of the smell. Thanks for your responses everone!