How to tint plastic bottles?

+6
Does anyone know how to tint plastic soda bottles? Tint, not dye so you can still see through them. Please see photo for reference.
q how to tint plastic bottles
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 08, 2017
    where did you find the idea?
  • Gis22589329 Gis22589329 on May 08, 2017
    There are spray paints that are transparant/semi transparant. Some are called sea glass colors by Krylon they will tint but semi transparent I sprayed a clear glass vase with a sea glass color. Modge Podge makes a colored paint/glue you paint on with a brush that dries absolutely clear like a colored Mason Ball jar. There are others too. Check your DIY stores.
  • Pam Walker Pam Walker on May 09, 2017
    Elmer's Glue & Food Coloring. Just mix the 2 to your desired color & paint it on. It dries clear leaving only the color. I've done this with crystal candlesticks. They look like sea glass when I got finished. :)
  • Patti Patti on May 09, 2017
    I love these candle holders. They look beautiful. What I'd like to know is if I use elmers glue and food coloring can you put water in the bottles?
  • Jean SF Jean SF on May 09, 2017
    The glue goes on the outside and you can still use water in your bottle. I've done this project before
  • Luc33344476 Luc33344476 on May 04, 2018
    I want make something plastic bottles safe money.
    No spend money.
    Thanks.
  • Mimi DiFrancesca Mimi DiFrancesca on Jun 10, 2021

Just FYI- Modge Podge is Elmer's Glue and water mixed together. You're welcome! I just saved you a ton of money buying the Modge Podge Brand. The faux Modge Podge and food coloring can be thinned to desired consistency and it will dry to a solid surface. My rule of thumb- if you wouldn't lick something that's been glued together, then don't coat a surface with it and expect to be food safe. This concoction is water proof so if you are using it as a flower vase, you are good to go!

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty Tuula - Color Me Thrifty on Jun 10, 2021

Krylon and Rustoleum both have sea glass/beach glass spray paints that are semi transparent and work on plastic as well as a multitude of other surfaces.