How to antique my fake paneled brick walls?

FlorentLynda DexterDoreen
+7

In the kitchen I have paneled fake brick walls.I don't want to remove the paneling but I do want to update the look in my kitchen.
A small view of one wall.
The wall behind the refrigerator.
The wall above the sink area.
  • Nancy

paint the entire thing flat white and distress it by sanding
  • Shawna Bailey

Nancy I was going to suggest white too! I don't know if you need the sanding or not. It more of a shabby chic vs country look.
  • 7218805

Agreed....milkpaint or chalky paint wiped on....I'd do a whitewash on that ceiling, too, to brighten up your kitchen even more! :)
  • CeeJay

I would dry brush a cream colored latex paint in a random pattern. For inspiration look at some old brick buildings! I wouldn't paint the whole brick but highlight!
    • Red7843003

Hi
      And thanks for your help. Could you please explain what do you mean by highlight?
  • LibraryKAT

It's hometalk, go to this link http://www.hometalk.com/28139076/redoing-faux-brick-wall for a really nice do-over or just do this general search http://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=Brick%20Walls
    Good luck! :-)
  • Red7843003

Thank you so much. The wall you did is really nice. I love it. I would love my wall to look this way. I will try it and see what happens.
  • Doreen

i saw a technique done on " Fixer upper" called "German smer ". It's done on the brick by covering the majority of the brick, & only some parts of the brick showin. It looks like som in an old buildin. Check it out!!
  • Lynda Dexter

I was going to say the same thing as Doreen said. cover it partially with either plaster or joint compound and wipe off on some of the bricks.
  • Florent

You could paint your wall with one thin layer of white paint, in order to keep the original aspect of your brick wall, and then make the joints and brick edges with grey paint applied with a sponge. You can change the colors if you wish...