Will it damage a garden to use shredded paper?

FlorentRosemary ReedStephen Taylor
+2

I worry the toner used in printing will damage plants or compost. I am not talking about newsprint. I am talking office shredded paper. Please if you have any knowledge in this area let me know

Probably would be damaging. The toner does not break down readily. It needs to be chemically removed for paper recycling. Toner consists of carbon powder, styrene acrylates, and styrene copolymers coated with polyester resin. In addition, some paper itself has been bleached with chlorine, a particularly nasty player whose breakdown produces dangerous dioxins.
  • Peggy

Thank YOU, William, spread the word for our MOTHER EARTH
  • Stephen Taylor

I use shredded paper as bedding for my chooks, then compost it. Once it has broken down it is fine as a soil conditioner. It also puts carbon back in the soil
  • Rosemary Reed

What is a chook? How long does it take to break down?
  • Florent

Anything else that newspapaer is not recommanded in the garden due to inks employed. Even proper newspaper can be toxic to plants...