How can I care for a Miniture Fig Tree?

Nelson.incStephen TaylorColin L Deans

I have what was called a miniature fig tree growing in a very large tub, and wondered if It should be pruned to keep a shape as it tends to get a bit straggly and how and when please. Regards, Colin.
  • Colin L Deans

It's a great idea and thank you for any help I may get.
  • Stephen Taylor

Prune back to just above a bud (leaf node) to the length you want, the fruit grows on 2nd year growth best (tho you may get some small figs on new growth)
  • Nelson.inc

Are you speaking of a miniature fig tree that is a house plant? They don't bear fruit. They can be lightly trimmed back about once or twice a year. Mainly you should be removing any dead growth. Ficus benjamina trees are cousins of rubber trees, with lots of sticky sap that drips if you cut into a live branch and this should mostly be avoided as the plant can "bleed" too much. Also, do not put it into a bigger pot as they like to be root bound.