How can I change door knobs that have no visible screws?

I have a set of old, ugly door knobs in my house that I'd like to replace, but I can't figure out how to do it. There are no visible screws on the knobs themselves, only on the strike plate, which has been painted in place. HELP?! The only thing I can see for access on one knob is a tiny slit, but it's not even big enough for a flat head screw driver, or drill bit.
  4 answers
  • Gail Gail on May 09, 2017
    Sometimes a tiny screw is located on the inside bottom round plate under the knob.
    • See 2 previous
    • Gail Gail on May 10, 2017
      The tiny slit might be where you use the screwdriver to pop the plate open or loose. Love a mystery!
  • William William on May 09, 2017
    Lots of videos:

    • Missy Burch Missy Burch on May 10, 2017
      that was helpful- ty. but the new knob is too big. so now i have no way to safely enlarge the hole. so I'm at a loss. I'm not going to take off the door, use a jig saw & destroy my door. i give up. i never should have even bothered. this is what i get for buying stuff at restore! ugh
  • Harmy Tab Harmy Tab on May 09, 2017
    Often they have a little notch next to door side of the knobs trim ring, just big enough for a flat screwdriver to fit in. Pop that ring loose and your screws should be easy to access.
  • William William on May 10, 2017
    Could you past some photos?
Your comment...