Slow seep water line- help!

My water supply line from the city has a shut off spigot where it enters my foundation. The spigot is old and has a very slow drip seep. I'm afraid thay if I ever tried to shut it off it would fail completely. How bad would it be to cut out the old spigot and replace it with a new in line on / off valve type.
  5 answers
  • Sue Lilly Sue Lilly on May 09, 2017
    i would contact the company explain problem and ask advice.
  • William William on May 09, 2017
    This would be a repair job for the city water department. Piping from the city to the shut off is normally city property. Anything beyond the shut off is yours. I would call the water department.
    • Anna Anna on May 14, 2017
      The water dept responsibility stops at the property line. Contact a plumber about replacing the valve.

  • Ellis Ellis on May 09, 2017
    We did have a plumber replace the shut-off valve on the water main. The old one was very hard to turn. Ours is inside, in the basement, where the main enters the house, and our water company said it was our responsibility to repair it. Plumber installed a lever-handled ball valve. It only took an hour or so, and now it's very easy to turn off water, if need be.
    • Senior Chief Senior Chief on May 10, 2017
      Yes first step is to find out which who owns the leak. If it's on your side it is costing you money & either way wasting valuable water resources. šŸ˜Ž
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on May 10, 2017
    I had this problem at my last house . If the leak is between the main shut off valve and the street , its the city's problem . If the leak is between the shut off valve and your home , call a plumber or fix it yourself if it within your skill set . Hope this helps .
  • William William on May 15, 2017
    Sorry Anna! Water department sewer lines stop at the property line. Water supply stops at the water meter which is past the shut off. My shut off and meter are in my basement next to my water heater, main sewer, and laundry sink. When the water department replaced analog meters with digital meters they also replaced my dripping shut off. It IS their responsibility. At no cost. Call a plumber, he will need a permit to work on city owned components and charge you an arm and a leg. They may not even allow him to touch it or he may refuse to work on it because its city property.