What to use in planters other than stone for good drainage?

Barbara GlennEllisCarol
+2

I have two fig trees and a pomegranate tree that I need to move in and outdoors seasonally. I am ready to transplant to bigger pots but am afraid I wont be able to maneuver them if they are too heavy.

Many have stated they are using plastic soda bottles in the bottom.
  • Dee

Good old packing peanuts! They will lighten the pot considerably, as well as provide drainage. One thing to keep in mind-they are a real pain to get out of the soil if you ever empty the pot. To avoid this, I place the foam peanuts in the pot, then place a piece of landscape fabric over them, then add the soil. This keeps the peanuts out of the soil, and helps with drainage.
  • Carol

Yep, plastic bottles, packing worms, wood chips, broken clay pots pcs., almost any space dividing materials
  • Ellis

There are wheeled trays you can buy that you can put under your pots. They're a little pricey, but you only need to buy them once.
  • Barbara Glenn

I often use packing peanuts and pot shards in the bottom of my planters. They keep the soil lofty and the pots are not as heavy. I've had good sucess!