How do I get rid of ant hills without harming my dog?

CharlotteReba SousaCrystal Jozefick
+3

Apply food grade diatomaceous earth
  • JoAnne Fowler Gaytan

There is also an orange oil product (Medina?) that you can pour on them. Sometimes it takes a treatment or two, but it has been working for me. I also tried the boiling water method which worked well, but I decided it was too dangerous to be carrying boiling pots of water around.

• Judy

boiling water over and over
  • Crystal Jozefick

I like to use boiling water. I just pour if over the ant hills and it goes into them and kills them. Withthis, there isn's anything to hurt your pets.
  • Reba Sousa

You can sprinkle corn meal, grits, cream of wheat, ect. all around the hill The ants will take the dry particles to their nesrt and eat them. When they eat the pieces they swell and kill the ants.
  • Charlotte

Just make sure that are not red ants. I have to tell you all this. I was mowing the ditch bank on the state highway and did not know that there was a large hill of red ants. Not knowing and not thinking the lawnmower ran over the hill. I stopped the mower and started stomping the ants off of me, then I got some spray and drown the hill in pesticide. It killed the ants in that hill or so I thought. Two weeks later I go mow the ditch bank again and I noticed that the first anthill was gone and did not notice the second ant which, I guess, was made with the remainder of the first ant hill. Again the mower ran into the second ant hill and again I did that "ant hill dance". Well I got them off and turned around and hit another ant hill that was covered by grass. After that "ant hill dance" I made sure that I watched for anthills. HA HA HA now but it was not then.