David Croxton
David Croxton
  • Mcdonough, GA

How to remove brown staining on the sides of an inground Vinyl Pool?

David CroxtonDianeHillela G.
+4

Pool has brown staining of some sort on two of the walls. When pool was opened, staining was around the bottom as well, but bottom staining went away on its own. This is not algae and will not brush off. Pool is in full sun all day. PH and chlorine level are correct.
  • Hillela G.

Its going to depend on the kind of stain, but they're all treatable! http://blog.intheswim.com/stains-and-discoloration-in-a-vinyl-liner-pool/
  • Diane

Take a sample of your pool water to the guy you buy your chemicals from. If it is a yellowish brown it might be metal in your water. We get it all the time & we get a chemical that makes it disappear.
  • David Croxton

It is brown. Ph seems to affect it.
  • Diane

It will not just rub off! The chemical you put in the water must break down the metal in the water & it disappears. I still think your best bet is to get your water tested!
    • David Croxton

Got it tested. Only trace of copper. When I opened the pool, the staining was over about 80% of pool; bottom and walls. When I got the PH back to normal, most staining went away except for parts on the walls. It is not "splotches" but covers parts of the walls. I have had a pool for 40 years and have never seen this before.

• David Croxton

I did. only trace of Copper.