What's the best container to be used for a container garden?

PatNancy TurnerJan Clark
+2

Trying to decide what containers woulbe best for my container garden.

Any pot as long as there is drainage holes and large enough for you plant.
  • Teddybear4842

I also use the bottoms of old plastic garbage/trash cans. My grapefruit and orange trees are growing wonderful fruit and they have been doing so for the past two years. I will transplant them to large 3 X 3 wooden crates made from used 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's. The plastic will disintegrate after a few years. If you want permanent, go with a good clay pot as it will hold up for years.
  • Jan Clark

Since you're in MN, you didn't say if you intend to bring your containers indoors during cold months. If that is the case, you need to consider their weight and where you'll put them as well as how you want to move them. If they're just for outside, then decide how you expect them to weather. Terra cotta, wood and metal do well. A lot of plastics can degrade quickly. You might want to see what your home stores have and ask some questions before you invest your time and money.
  • Nancy Turner

I use every pot that I have including handing pots with the hangers removed. As above, make sure it is big enough for what you are putting in it. Herbs can be put in smallish pots depending on how much you want, and can be brought in and put in front of a sunny window to be enjoyed year round. I did this past winter, but my south window had too big of an overhang and only my rosemary and parsley got enough light to survive. My rosemary is like a bush now.
  • Pat

We used 5 gal buckets. Restaurants and car washes would save them for me. We planted tomato and pepper, cilantro and small bunching onions with great success Had a cherry tomato vine grow over 15 ft and produced till 1st freeze