How do you keep woodpeckers from pecking holes in our stucco??

Nancy E Holton WallaceMary FougnerDORLIS
+3

The woodpeckers are pecking holes 4" in diameter for their nests....have tried spraying holes with hot sauce, have stuck rocks in the holes only to have them peck another hole beside the first one, so that the rock falls out. They have pecked giant holes in 3 of the pillars in front of my home??? Looks horrible and expensive to keep repairing these holes. No I don't have a machine gun to get rid of them.

Hang a spinning ornament near where they made the holes and see if that helps.
  • Jewellmartin

Nail some chicken wire tightly across the stucco walls. It wouldn't be pretty, but it should protect that wall from more holes. When the woodpeckers leave for the winter, consider vinyl or Hardy Board siding. Best wishes.
  • DORLIS

Maybe give them a wooden pole for them to make their nests. The wire cloth is a good idea also. I have never had a problem with them because I live in the woods and they have plenty of dead trees to make a nest in.
  • Mary Fougner

Better check things out! They might be after food. If they can hear bugs through tree bark, they can hear them through stucco!

• Nancy E Holton Wallace

We had woodpeckers pecking holes in our cabin. Hung a plastic owl out of 3rd floor window and never had the problem again. Good luck