Hostas- to avoid voles, should I plant them in containers?

GinnySue LillyJohn
+2

To avoid voles can I plant hostas in the plastic container they came in?

Place them in a larger pot and then plant them.
  • DORLIS

Put them in boxes made of wire cloth with holes no larger than 1/4". Make sure the box is large enough to allow the bulbs growing room.
  • John

dig the hole, line bottom and sides with chicken wire drop a handful of nails or screws that will rust (make certain nails will surround the plant like a birds nest)...not galvanized or coated...fill with dirt...place chicken wire on top...use tin snips to cut a hole for the plant and finish off with dirt. Voles/moles can't get through the wire and they don't like sharp pointy nails. Use chicken wire with small hole weaves...the smaller the better or use a coated screen material that won't rust...but do not leave in the plastic pot as roots will not have room to spread
  • Sue Lilly

Containers are good and wire over the top
  • Ginny

With hosta, you have just rung the dinner bell for snails. They love hosta and will eat holes in them. I am an advocate for loriope which snails don't seem to care about, and I think are prettier than hosta. Look up loriope on the internet and see the many varieties available.