Is there anyway to keep squirrels from chewing on plastic solar lights

Bob OnittHenri WilliamsJo Weidman
+11

I've included some pictures of the damage and a picture of one of the squirrels actually chewing on the stake which is used for the lights.

You can try making sprays of crushed hot pepper and garlic,and spread blood meal.
  • Suze

get metal solar lights
    • Tonya Baize

Looking to fix the problem but not at the cost of replacing all of my solar lights thanks
  • Jennifer

w You can also try fox urine. I've heard it keeps critters away
  • C. D. Scallan

Coat them in petroleum jelly . The squirrels hate it and it makes it too slippery for them to grab onto .
    • Tonya Baize

Great idea I coat my Shepards hooks with Pam to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders. And me and my kiddos laugh as we see them slide down.
  • DORLIS

There must be something in the lights the squirrels like. I have to keep my garage closed up so the groundhogs don't get to my car's engine. All the plastic parts are made from soybean oil and the mechanics at the car dealer said groundhogs love soybeans. How they can still smell soybeans after the oil has been made into valves, etc is beyond me, but apparently they do. So if you could find out what the lights are made from that might give you a clue as to how to stop them.
  • Victoria Reich

I agree with the first poster. Anything that will keep them out of a garden will probably keep them away. I like garlic and have heard they don't like cats, so used kitty liter will work (ick) . Since both of these need to be redone periodically, you might also want to try something commercial, like Squirrel Chaser. Gardening catalogs and sites frequently have these products.
  • Gail

I used Irish Spring soap to chase them off when they built nests in my carport ceiling. They have not been back. It is inexpensive, they do not like it and even if it rains it will last for a while. I threw several of the whole bars up there. They can really damage property, wow. They ate holes in my bird houses and ran off my birds.  My dogs could not catch them.
  • Ann

I mix cooking spray and red pepper flakes, they haven't been back.
  • Linda Nixon Daniel

Ohhh, I love squrls!!!! All the suggestions sound good. I have rehabbed many baby squrls and released them. They are precious but can get into trouble. Irish spring soap sounds to me like an easy fix. Don't forget to throw out some pecans for them.

• Jo Weidman

I use moth balls in my window boxes to deter ground squirrels from eating my flowers and digging up the soil. They would probably have the same effect with squirrels eating solar lights.
  • Henri Williams

I use a product called "Fooey" to stop my cats and dogs from chewing anything. I tried everything and this is the only thing that worked! It leaves such a foul taste in their mouth that they never come back to that item! It's a spray that you can buy online and it's not particularly expensive. I would imagine that you might need to re-spray after rain, otherwise it should last for weeks.
    You will need to be careful when you spray it. It is so foul tasting that if you inhale the over spray it is awful! (Milk is the only thing that will take the taste away. 😝 )
    This will not harm the squirrels, or any other animal. It will only deter them.
    At any rate...Good Luck!
  • Bob Onitt

predator urine ,many hardware stores carry it or start falconry as a hobbie..... i like the falconry one........or get an electric-fence power unit,and wire the chewed areas