What is the best way to update plain white kitchen cabinets in rental?

Crystal JozefickPatCathy
+10

I need to do something different with the plain white kitchen cabinets in my rental house, that is reversible and won't harm the existing cabinets...but they are BORING!
  • Vinyl decals come in so many versions like script (words) or pictures, there are also repositionable wall papers that are not permanent.
  • Mindy

White cabinets are the "in" thing right now. How about picking a bright color you love and livening up things with that? It will be so much fun to find just the right canisters, curtains, dish towels, pictures, place mats and knick knacks.
    • Melissa

Sadly, I have lived here for a year and have sort of overflowed on to the counters. The kitchen window has a cellular blind that the landlord put in that I cannot change. I put up some vinyl decals in bright colors that are kitchen-themed, so your idea of accessorizing with bright colors is fantastic. Thank you very much.
  • Cathy

You can change the hardware to give them a different look. Keep the old ones and change them back when you leave
    • Melissa

That is such a great idea! I had seen a whole isle at Hobby Lobby when i was last there and made mental note to measure and count what I currently have. I really need to get that done and have it on hand the next time I go to Hobby Lobby, or Home Depot.

Being this is a rental I would take a different approach and use accessories instead.
    • Melissa

I think that I have so much 'junk' already out on my counters, that I need to assess the need for those and then dive in with accessories. Thank you so much for your suggestion. I am just trying to make it another year here until I find a house to buy, and have grown bored and dissatisfied by the white cabinets.

Word of advice not worth it.sort out what you no longer think is your style and take it from there,
  • Cathy

Glad I can help. Good luck
  • Pat

First I would access what you have on your counters? Do you need more storage, do you need to eliminate some of it? Maybe you can add a kitchen cart for storing some of your things.....with a clean slate, you can put cute canisters, a cookie jar, a coffee station and it will look neat and tidy....Also easier to keep clean.
  • Crystal Jozefick

There is a removable type of contact paper that you could put on your cupboards and would not harm them. I've seen people also use it for a temporary back splash.