Asked on May 9, 2017

What product can I use to fill a crack in a basement wall?

Sherry HermreckMag1889907Caseyem11


We have ONE crack in a basement wall that leaks water when it rains a whole lot. We have had professional dirt work done around the foundation for drainage, and re-routed a downspout. $2000 later - it still leaks in a big rain. It just seems like the crack needs to be filled to prevent the water. Any ideas that will work???
6 answers
  • William
    on May 9, 2017

    Hydraulic cement. Follow package instructions.
  • Lory
    on May 10, 2017

    I used a couple cans of concrete caulking. Been here 12 years since and no leaks!!
  • Pam Lindau
    on May 10, 2017

    We also used concrete caulking in a rather large crack in the basement under our front doorstep. Works perfectly! Had 3" of rain one day last week and not one drop of water came in the basement. Cleaned out loose debris in the crack with a utility knife and screw driver before we squirted in the caulk. Smoothed the caulk with a wet finger before it set up.
  • Caseyem11
    on May 10, 2017

    Drylok makes a great product. If you have a hole, simply plug it up with dry lock. If you have cracks, you need to chisel it out a bit then fill it with dry lok. I recommend that once the cement has thoroughly dried you paint the area with a waterproofing coating. Zinsser makes one and there are other brands out there as well.
  • Mag1889907
    on May 10, 2017

    I used drylok years later no leaks
  • Sherry Hermreck
    on May 10, 2017

    Will look into drylok. And painting with waterproof paint is another great idea!
    So chiseling out the crack is to let the caulking reach down in the crack further???
Your comment...