Can you suggest a ground cover?

OlivaEmNeva Barker
+19

I just purchased a house with two hillsides that are too steep to cut with a mower. I need suggestions on a fast growing ground cover. I do not like ivy. I live in Pennsylvania so zone 6 plants that you have had success with and little maintenance would be great.
  • I suggest you look into creeping thyme. comes in a few colors and is hardy in zones 5-9.

Creeping jenny will work for you and since there are no worries of taking over that will work.Other suggestions are creeping sedums
    • Em

Great suggestion. I just looked up pictures. I am no longer in the "under" 60 crowd (by a few years now ) and will still have to weed in between whatever I plant. The hill is quite steep so I want a thick cover. Will put it on my list. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
  • Ellis

Creeping phlox, if you have sun. There are various colors, and they're gorgeous in bloom.
    • Em

Thanks for the answer. My neighbor has them on her hillside facing my house. They are indeed beautiful. Just wished the blooms lasted longer. Quite a display for a few short weeks. Maybe I can get some plants from her to start. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • 512181

You might try some of the Junipers mixed in with some of the other plants mentioned. Some are only 2' high and spread to 8' . Look at Green Sargent Juniper.
    • Em

I will indeed look them up. I have quite a lot of space to cover on two hillsides. I will be able to mix and match all of the suggestions I am getting.
      I appreciate your response.
  • Sam Lee

periwinkle is a very good, fast growing ground cover that flowers. Low growing junipers are also good. Make sure they don't get too tall or they become unsightly.
  • Em

Thanks Sam. Forgot about periwinkle. Good thought. My Mom used to have a hillside of them. We had a wooden barrel with an aluminum gutter catching the outcropping of a natural spring that as kids we all drank from. It never stopped running. All around it was a hillside of periwinkle. Thanks for bringing back the memories of it.
  • Judith Watson

Crown Vetch is also a great fast growing ground cover. This is used by the highway departments on hillsides, as it grows fast and stops erosion. It also blooms in the spring. Google it and read about it.
  • Em

Thanks Judith. I will look it up.

• Jayme Rudolph

Our neighbor did his yard in jasmine vine. It covers his yard, and no mowing, but it takes a lot to get rid of.
    • Em

Thanks Jayme. I looked it up and it is not in my gardening zone. Pennsylvania is in zone 6 and they don't recommend this past zone 7 a little south of here. Thank you for your reply though.
  • Just peachy

Periwinkle, you can get it with variegated leaves or just the regular dark green leaves. It gets purple flowers all over. I don't know how much sun it can handle though.
    • Em

You are the second "vote" for periwinkle. I even love the name. The two slopes in question are half and half. Morning shade, afternoon sun. I think it would be fine. Thanks for your reply. I am getting wonderful ideas.

your welcome
  • Neva Barker

Personally I would lay river Rick 6-7” or smaller if you prefer and then plant various mosses and allow them to grow around and through it. Very easy to maintain

• Em

I do like river rock. Moss would probably not do well because it is a very sunny slope in the front. My concern was the slope is so great, I was concerned about the rock flushing down the hillside during a heavy rain. I am retired an there will come a day when I can't weed that hillside any longer. Thanks will consider.

• Oliva

Lemon verbena, coreopsis, moss phlox, day lilies, some types of vining euonymus, and hen and chicks multiply well and work well on zone 6 slopes.