Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

Plaster Of Paris Flowers

$10.00

Create faux porcelain flowers with this easy technique using Dollar Store silk flowers.
plaster of paris flowers
Cut the stems of the flowers to about 2-3 inches long.
plaster of paris flowers
Mix the plaster of paris and dip the flower into the mixture. Dip a few of the leaves, too.
plaster of paris flowers
Let the excess plaster of paris drip off of the flower.
plaster of paris flowers
Lay the flowers on wax paper and allow to dry. Once dry, the flowers may be painted if you want them to be another color.
plaster of paris flowers
Cut the stem as close to the flower as possible.
plaster of paris flowers
Use E6000 to glue the flowers and leaves to any surface.
plaster of paris flowers
They're a beautiful touch added to simple canisters.
plaster of paris flowers
Make lots of flowers! You'll want to put them on everything!

• Plaster of Paris  (Craft store)
  • Faux Flowers  (Dollar Store)
  • Wire Cutters  (Home Improvement Store)
Virginia B

• Barbara Marshall

Could you maybe put a little food coloring in the plaster of Paris? To color the flowers pink maybe.

• Dianne Courtney

I think you could.

• Sara myers

worth a try

• Kelly Condie Thompson

Stunning Idea. So vintage chic. You could color the plaster of paris with tempera powdered paint befor adding water. Go sparingly on the powder OR use the liquid for more control.

• Kelly Condie Thompson

But for real beauty (in my HUMBLE opinion -said tongue in cheek), try this. After it has dried, use some water colors in the the colors you desire. Then be sure to seal it with a matte sealer to keep it able to be dusted when needed. Those little cracks and crevices are real dust collectors. The water colors should be exactly the color and consistency you want on a glass dish BEFORE you touch the plaster of paris. Once the paint is applied, the plaster is pourous enough that it sucks everything in and there is little room for error. Experiment first on a white paper plate until you get it watered down enough to apply.

• Fran

I wold spray them with a mat finish after the plaster has dried. This will allow the water paint to keep the water paint from absorbing Them reapply another coat of mat finish

• Lea21647943

Could you tint the plaster of paris instead of painting the flowers?

• Butterstickbaker

Theoretically you should be able to tint the plaster of Paris. I think food coloring would give you a weak color and it would probably take too long when mixing to get the exact color you want and the plaster of Paris might start hardening before you can get it mixed. For example I purchased some plaster to fix holes in my bathroom walls and it started hardening within minutes. I had a hard time using what I mixed before it started getting hard. Myself, I would use water based craft or house paint to tint the plaster. You could try tinting just a small amount to see if it will work. If you are going to try food coloring I would use paste or gel type food coloring because the colors seem to be stronger in these. I would add the food coloring to my measured amount of water before mixing the water into the plaster of Paris. I have almost a full carton of plaster left over from my bathroom project and I am going to try using some of it for this flower project.

• Mary K Ross

I wonder if nail polish would work? There are some fabulous fun colors and you can get it cheap at the dollar store.

• Debby Fields Rosser

Especially if you just want them tipped like we use to do for live carnations to dress them up to match a dress.

• Jansings

I would put a light stain on them to give them the vintage look they are beautiful great idea

• Brenda

i wonder if the nail polish in water staining technique would work on this. That might give them a really cool effect!

• WENDY

I dip mine in flat or eggshell paint, that way I get color and the same effect as plaster of paris then I hang them upside down to drip dry

• Pat

I think food color just swirled thru the plaster of paris would give them a different look not just a whole flower colored..I'm going to try this

• Michael Johnson

Add powdered paint to the plaster and mix well before you add the water.

• YLDesigns

I would try adding some RitDye (powder) before adding water.....or adding the liquid dye to the water before adding to the plaster - you could try a small amount to see how it works - I have never done this but might give it a try - I have ALOT of silk flowers laying around collecting dust!!!

• Doreen Wood

we used POP for a project and instead of mixing the powder with water, we mixed it with latex paint and it worked beautifully. The final color comes out several shades lighter than the paint due to the addition of white powder so just keep this in mind when choosing paint color.

• Sha22453482

When you talk about powder if that plaster of Paris

• Marj MRC Creations

I love this idea! What do the flowers feel like - hard to the touch, soft? Thank you for posting this!

• Debby Fields Rosser

Could you suspend them upside down for more excess to drain or does it dry too quickly? Love the idea and look!

• Kristin

Are the finished flowers strong enough to hold up to removing the lid of the canister or are they just decoration?

• Virginia B

They're strong enough. I don't lift the lid by the flowers, but haven't had a problem. I've been using the canisters for years.

• Debbi

Could you dye the plaster mixture then dip for a colored flower?

• I have done this with paving stones so yes you can add colour.

• Virginia B

I haven't tried that, but I'm sure you could. Just remember that the plaster is white so it will lighten the dye.

• Sue Lilly

what about food colouring

• Gab8726903

Use powdered tempra paint to tint the plaster.

• Sgh9327600

after they are dried I see no reason why they can't be painted with acrylic paints, so many colors to choose from and then you could do leaves as well

• Karen Aucoin Radcliff

I was thinking about watercolor paints

• Sle31916431

i used acrylic paint on them and it worked beautifully, It was my first attempt and i believe its important to use a flower that is open quite a bit, without so many pedals

• Edie Zsuzsics

No question. Just a suggestion. After dipping the flowers, you could poke the stem into a styrofoam block to dry. That way the petals don't get crushed by laying them on their side. I saved the styrofoam that came with my last large purchase and it sure comes in handy for things that need to dry evenly.

• Che12706729

Sounds like great idea

• Mcgypsy9

AND if you don't have styrofoam you can also poke holes in a cardboard box and slip the flowers in.

• Audrey

You can paint them soft pastel colors and then glue them to your craft projects ...so lovely.

• Janice Kohn

Could this be done with real flowers?

• Virginia B

I'm not sure, Janice, but you could certainly try it. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Someone else said they used to buy something that was specifically made for real flowers. Let me know how it works if you try it.

• Charles Brooks

I bought dollar store flowers and I've put them outside and they look Great. My question is i thought about buying a waterproof spray to spray the flowers so they'll last longer. Any other ideas on maintaining the colors of the flowers ?

• Victoria

I always spray my outdoor wreaths, silk flowers, burlap flags with a semi-gloss clear rustoleum spray paint. I have silk flowers that have been in the yard for 2 years that still look brand new.

• Charles Brooks

Victoria I thank you. I'll pick up a can today. Thank You.

• Therese Allen

tI saw a decoupage video and a marine varnish called Spar was used to finish a project to be kept outside.

• Debbie

What is u6000 and where can u get it.

• Debbie Richardson

Did you say you can add color to the plaster?

• Mariposa Miranda

Once you have stirred the plaster until it is smooth and lump free, you can add color and stir until the desired color is consistent throughout the plaster.

• Elizabeth Annett

What type of colour is it a powder dye or can you use paint?

• Virginia B

Other people have said they've added color or painted plaster. I left mine alone because the plaster was the color I wanted.

• Teresa Craun

What are the proportions for the dipping mixture?

• Vikkyjo

They usually found on the label, or packaging that the plaster comes in.

• Virginia B

I just followed the directions on the package. If it seems too thick, add a little water.

• Carolyn J Marsh

Aren't they awfully brittle?

• Virginia B

They're not something you'd handle a lot. But, I've been using the canisters for a couple of years with no problem.

• Annred

rispaof How do you mix the paster

• Virginia B

You just mix it with water. The directions are on the package.

• Lynn Simon

Have you ever tried adding a powdered color to the plaster of paris before mixing it, to create colored flowers?

• Lynn Simon

Please ignore this question as I just read another persons answeres to the same question.

• Carol DesJardins

what strength of plaster of paris do you mix up

• Virginia B

I just mix according to package directions. If it seems too thick, I add a little water.

• Hilary Blackburn

Does the plaster not crumble once dry or does it dry very hard?

• Virginia B

It dries hard. I haven't had a problem with it on frames and on my canisters, but I don't think you'd want to handle them a lot. For decorative items, they're fine.

• Jen Paradoski-Chwalek

i had bought a plaster at Michaels and it's not called plaster of Paris i forgot the name but it's in a reusesb bag. Your sapose to take 1 cup plaster to 1 & 1/3 cup cold water. Mix then pour into mold. Well I don't have a mold. I want to make a plaster vase to put fake flowers in. Or make a neat ashtray for my husband. I quit abo 5 months ago YEAY! But can I use this kind of quick drying plaster to do these flowers?

• Jen Paradoski-Chwalek

• Jen Paradoski-Chwalek

• Jen Paradoski-Chwalek

• Jean Griffin

I like the perfect plaster you get at hobby lobby to me it works better. The hotter the water the faster it dries.

• Callejae

Do you have a DYI recipe for Plaster of Paris?

• Karen Coll Post

Could I add some color to the plaster of paris? If so, what kind of paint would you suggest?

• Esther Waayenberg

What about food coloring or ink?

• Jackie Austin Wortman

ceramic paint will work

• V Valencia

I am thinking you could do a color wash of paint after the flowers dry. Or perhaps spray paint???

• Virginia B

You could definitely add color to the plaster. Just remember that the plaster is white so it will make your color a lot lighter. There have been a lot of suggestions for adding color such as using a powder pigment or mixing the plaster with paint instead of water (which I think would be too thick). Personally, I would paint the flowers after to make sure I get the exact color I want. Any type of paint will work if you paint them afterwards.

• Likiliki

I think you can use mica powder, acryLic paint, watercolor

• Cathy Graves Zarnoth

Lovely. I think making a fake cake to sit on a buffet or counter would be beautiful. I would paint after drying for about 2 or 3 days with acrylic paint. You could dip them in the paint or brush the paint on.

• Marnidarr

Did you apply the plaster to the outside of the lids? Or did you paint everything to match?

• Virginia B

No, I didn't add plaster to the lids. I just painted them. And, I was lucky enough to have a color that matched the plaster perfectly.

• Ginger the farm gal

Would this method hold up outside in the weather?

• Greywolf Stickels

it definitely will disintegrate, even if you use hydrocal or hydrostone plaster. This is not a good material for outside purpose.

• Virginia B

If you want something like this for outdoors, you might try something like Rocktite cement.

• Ginger the farm gal

ok Thanks ... good to know.

• Ron22096373

Would the plaster of Paris look dull ? Can I use a clear Shiney spray paint after flower dried to make it look more porcelin? Thanks

• Carol Vance Palmer

Couldn't you add a few drops of food coloring/ liquid dye to mixture before dipping? After all you add water to plaster.

• Charlene

You could. However, the color would be very muted due to the white of the plaster of Paris (depending on the amount of pigment you add). Also there may be a slight greying the color. It certainly wouldn't hurt to experiment and share your results. I wonder how a marbelized look could be achieved?

• Kyra Zandberg

the colors are much brighter if you use powdered tempera paint.

• Ron22096373

HI, just finished 6. They seem so fragile, when I touch the flower, plaster dust and chips come off. Would a spray starch work to make the petals have more strength

• Virginia B

That might help. I didn't have that problem. You could also try playing with the amount of water you add to the plaster.

• Sha22453482

Two parts plaster Paris to 1 cup water

• Jewell Martin

@Ronx1234. You can also tap most of the current plaster on the flowers into the trash can. Mix some fresh plaster and redip the flowers, even if some petals have a double layer. Be sure to let the flowers drip off the excess back into the plaster bowl. Best wishes 😇

• Lyn1401021

I think spray varnish would make them more durable and cleanable. Several coats, of course :)

• Ron22096373

Thank you

• Rachel

Should or could you sand them down a little to get the excess off or to make them easier to paint up and make them soft on or around the petals and flower part

• Virginia B

Yes you could. I didn't, but I think it would work fine.

• Jewell Martin

Over a million views! This project really piqued people's interest.
      A few suggestions on the plaster bowl. Use a plastic bowl where the sides have a little give in them. If you have plaster left over in the bowl, cover the surface of the plaster with plastic wrap. You can also put a lid on the bowl if you have the lid. Then when you are ready, you can add more water, let it sit a few minutes, then stir until the plaster is ready to use again. After you have used all of the plaster in the bowl, let the scraps harden. Then bend the sides a little and tap on the edge of the trash can. The plaster bits should pop or scrape out, leaving the bowl ready to wash. Never wash the plaster down the sink. Best wishes 😇

• Donna Cranmer Aldridge

You could use an empty coffee container which is plastic and has a lid.

• Judy Sutton

could you use mod podge ?

• Trina Moodie

Can you add paint to the plaster of paris to give flowers color?

• Nancy Flemming

i would say yes as long as you use water based paint, try it with acrylic craft paint.

• Ma*23325187

Can u leave the stem on and use as flower arrangement?

• Lyn

when doing this procedure, do the flowers harden

• Vikki van aken

You buy the flowers from the dollar store? And follow the instructions on the plaster fo paris box...dip the flowers and kind of drip them? Can these be placed in a picture frame? With hot glue?

• Judy Brown

Can you color the plaster of Paris? If so, what do you use?

• Virginia B

I would paint it afterward. The plaster is white so adding color would change the color to be much lighter. I've gotten this question quite a lot and some people have suggested adding a powder pigment or using Rit dye instead of water.

• Marilyn

what amount of water and plaster of paris to make to dip flowers

• Pamela

how do you keep the plaster from cracking

• Virginia B

I've never had a problem with the plaster cracking. I'm assuming if it does crack, then not enough water was added to the plaster.

• Charlene ~

I did this with my granddaughters. While setting up the part that was resting on the parchment paper made that side of the flower flat. How do you keep this from happening?

• Virginia B

They will have a little bit of a flat spot where they lay on the parchment, but it shouldn't be noticeable. You can usually arrange the flowers on whatever you put them on to hide the flat spot. But, again, it should be very small and not noticeable. Make sure the plaster isn't too thick on the flowers. If it is, the plaster will run down and puddle.

• K

You can also use an old box or piece of cardboard, to make a drying surface area. Pierce a hold in it and poke the stem of the flower through that after you have dipped and driane the excess plaster off. That way, no flat spot!

• Nancy Flemming

Or piece of styrofoam, pre poke holes so easier to push in stem.

• Barbara Sharwood

Just fantastic, is there any way that you could colour them, or is it better left in it's natural state?

• Kathie Mathewsl

I think you could use food color since it is water based and you add water to Plaster of Paris. I am going to experiment with this and mix up a small amount of different colors

• Nancy Flemming

Could also use a few drops of craft paint mixed into plaster of paris.

• Madelyn Krouse

How much plaster of paris and water

• Caroline

Is there a substitute to plaster of Paris I can use

• Virginia B

I'm not sure what else you could use that would be the same consistency as the plaster. You could try a fabric stiffener and then paint them.

• Nancy Flemming

Chalk paint, which is plaster of paris based, with the bonus of colour right in the paint can. Cut down your fabric flower and dip into paint, tap lightly on side of can, poke stem into styrofoam and leave to dry, this may take a while. You may have to touch up the bottom with a dab of paint if it has come off on the stryrofoam. If you want a crackle look on the petals, use your hairdryer on low heat low air, don't hold too close.

• Cheryl

Is plaster of Paris white

• Kelly Berrigan

i have been trying so hard to do these and no luck at all. I got dollar store flowers and they seem to get too soggy and don't hold up..look mushed when they dry. Do you suggest a certain flower or brand? I made one mistake in getting colored ones and not white but our dollar tree doesn't carry anything but red and pink roses. Ty much

• Virginia B

I'm sorry you're having trouble Kelly. Have you tried adding a little less water to the plaster? You may have to play around with the consistency of the plaster. They will get a little flat where you lay them on the wax paper to dry but it's not noticeable when you arrange them on your finished piece.

• Kelly Berrigan

Ty Virginia. I used your method last night and they did do better. Other recipes say to add more water but they were way too soggy and dried with huge lumps around edges. Only prob I now have is plaster sticking to entire piece..like plastic leaf at bottom of flower that holds it together. Ill keep practicing. Ty much

• Stina

You can maybe hang the flowers from the stem to dry so that it doesn’t make a flat impression on the flower.

• Pam

If you keep the stems long you can stick upright in a jar of sand to dry.

• Mcgypsy9

I’ll bet this would look real nice too if you stiffen the actual flower petals first with maybe a spray sealer. ? . It will keep the petals more upright when dipping. I can’t do this just yet as my house is in chaos but as soon as I recover I really want to play around with this. Love the look!

• V Valencia

I am curious about the consistency of the plaster of Paris? Is it like pancake batter or thicker?

• Flo30458093

Could you add color to the plaster? Food coloring or paint?

• Carlena Biggs

food coloring may fade with time or in sunlight if near a window..Spray paint would do if lightly sprayed after dried. I'm thinking metallic. but Acrylic would do well after dried. experiment with a little paint and see and let people know

• Kristi

I mix plaster of paris with latex paint and make homemade chalk paint.. Im guessing adding paint for color would work.. Google homemade chalk paint for the recipe..

• Flo30458093

Does plaster of paris hold up outside in the weather?

• 25593779

Definitely not. It will deteriorate fast. You might get good results if you seal it really well with a waterproof sealer of some sort. I can't recommend one but someone here probably can.

• Virginia B

No they wouldn't. You could try the same technique using concrete.

• Bonni Stacconi Phelps

That is so fun. I could see doing this with my grandkids. How long did it take to dry?

• Bonni Stacconi Phelps

• Virginia B

I let them dry overnight, turning them every so often so the the parts touching the paper can dry.

• Christine

If you stick the stems in styrofoam after dipping you will not get marks on them while drying! Drying them laying down makes marks

• Mag33270571

What is E6000 glue? And where can you buy it? Craft stores, Menards, Lowes, Home Depot?

• Virginia B

E6000 is a really strong glue that you can purchase at craft stores, WalMart, Target, etc.

• Judy Price

Do the flowers have to be white?

• Mary Murphy

How to make the flowers look shinny like china

• Debbie King

Can you recommend something that is permanent and weatherproof to dip the roses in to be used for wreaths and grave decorations to old up in all weather??

• Virginia B

I'm not really sure what to put on them to make them weatherproof. Maybe you could dip them in some type of resin that is ok for outdoors.

• Kerry Notz

I would try shellac. When I worked at a living history museum, we painted/dipped things in shellac to preserve them. One fancy Christmas bread survived about 5 years. It wasn't outside, but even the mice didn't mess with it.

• Carol

We have bought silk flowers and sprayed them with a sealer that is made for shoes and tents. Sprayed with at least two coats and let dry completely. Put in vases on a tomb rock. Held up very well during winter in Tennessee. (snow, rain, sun) Extended life of flowers so they could be removed and reused another season if desired.

• Debbie King

Excellent answers!! Thank you both for wonderfully inventive ideas!! I will try them both on different flowers. Again, thank you!

• Virginia B

I'm not exactly sure Debbie. I use these indoors. You may be able to use portland cement. It's a powder you mix with water and it is typically used in pools. You can get it at your home improvement store. I'd love to hear about your experience with that if you try it.

• Sharon

Don't the petals stick together?? Isn't the plaster of paris kind of like a glue??

• Virginia B

Mine didn't stick together. If they did, you could use a toothpick to pull them apart.

• Charlene Hatter

Hello Virginia I just love your plaster of Paris roses. Did you use plastic roses or the silk roses to do this project?

• Judy

Did you use dry Plaster of Paris and mix your own or did you use pre-mixed?

• Iris

The plaster of Paris it’s a paint ?

• Tho34080366

Yes I'm going to try this,but how would you hang them on the wall

• Virginia B

I've never hung any on the wall. You could try gluing some type of hanger to the back. You would need really strong glue. Let me know how it works if you try it.

• Cho20889622

Can I make bigger flowers, maybe out of card stock paper then add the mixture?

• Virginia B

I haven't done it using card stock but you could try it. My only concern would be that the paper would soak up the moisture and not keep its shape. If you try it, let me know how it works.

• Julie Blinco

what kind of paint do you use?

• Virginia B

I used Dixie Belle Paint to paint the lids of the jars. I used the color Drop Cloth and it was an exact match to the plaster so I didn't paint the flowers.

• WILLIAM

any way of coloring plaster for a more colorful look????

• Virginia B

You could add a little dye or paint to the plaster. Or paint the flowers after they dry.

• C.l22993700

I tried this project, but the plaster was too heavy for the flower, should the plaster be thinner?

• Cheryl Goodman

How much water do you use? Is it thinner than normal? What is consistency? Thinking a bit thinner to fill in between?

• Virginia B

I just followed the directions for mixing on the box and it worked fine. Some people have told me they too had good results while others said theirs came out in a blob. Have a flower you can test it on, mix it like the directions say, then it is perfectly fine to add a little water if it needs it. Have fun!

• Cheryl Goodman

Thanks! Looking forward to doing this with grandkids! Great Christmas presents for their mom

• Patty Politowicz

Thank you Virginia for putting this project up. I too want to make this. As soon as I move into my new home I'll give it a try.

• Yes I inspired by this idea.verygoodand easy to make.thanks .