How difficult is it to grow strawberries from a pot outside?

Nancy TurnerBulldogBeth Shorts
+2

• Hillela G.

Strawberries are heavy feeders. They grow best in well drained, fertile soil so if you plant them in a pot, you need to use good soil and feed them routinely. If they are in the ground or a garden spot, they will do fine with just a handful of fertilizer, compost, etc. and water. You got this!
  • Michele

Thanks so much!
  • Beth Shorts

I just planted some strawberry plants in an old outdoor fountain, that we decided to repurpose as a planter. We filled it with a good potting soil, and the strawberries seem to be thriving! Make sure to pick up an appropriate type of plant food specifically for strawberries, and feed the plants as directed :)
  • Bulldog

It is very easy as long as you have good drainage
  • Nancy Turner

I have always had my strawberries in hanging pots with really good luck. I always replace about half of the soil with fresh potting soil and peat moss mix. I use extended release fertilizer when I transplant in the new plants and don't fertilize again. I frequently have them come back the next year, but not all plants will survive the Minnesota winters in a pot. All I do after they have died down for the winter is put them under my lilacs.