Will Round Up hurt a tree?

Janet PizaroSharon Susa CourchesneBeth Shorts
+2

Grass has come up in the mulch that is spread around a tree. Wouls it damage the tree to use Round Up close to the tree?
  • Crystal Jozefick

I wouldn't use it around a tree. I would put newspaper or landscape fabric under the mulch to stop the weeds.
  • Jan

It most certainly will harm the tree and anything else it might come in contact with. This includes ground water. I agree with the prior answer use landscape fabric and mulch this method will prevent weeds and lasts for years while saving the environmen.
  • Beth Shorts

Round-Up will definitely hurt any tree or plant-life it comes in contact with, along with the environment around it, including the water table. Please try more environmentally friendly ways to stop the weeds, like a good quality landscape fabric, and mulch or gravel on top of it.
  • Sharon Susa Courchesne

I recommend you cut the grass as short as your mower will go, add a single layer of newspaper, a thin layer of compost(the bagged stuff works fine, and has application rates on the bag), then woodchips, with the total depth not exceeding 3".

Round up will not only kill the tree but using this product which is under investigation is adding more harmful chemicals to the ground.Smother the grass out.