$1 Gift Wrap China Cabinet Makeover

Continuing with the low budget, practically no budget, happification of my kitchen decor next on the list was my vintage 70s kitchen china cabinet.
Here's the before. I painted it like this to go with my Royal Albert Country Roses china, but after many years and just like the rest of my kitchen I was ready for a change to a lighter and brighter decor.
The first thing I did was paint the inside with two coats of white with the same paint and primer combo that I used on the kitchen walls.
This is Take 2 of the outside of the cabinet, which is a mixture of my kitchen cupboards colour and white paint. To check out my Take 1 mistake click on the link at the end of this post.
Since I love colour this was just a tad boring for me.
After looking around for a while I found this fabulous polka dot gift wrap at the dollar store for, what else, $1. I didn't even use the whole thing so technically this cost me about 50 cents..
I measured the inside areas of the cabinet and cut out the pieces.
I simply attached the gift wrap with pieces of double sided tape.
This way I can feel free to change it anytime in the future if I want to.
To finish it off I spray painted the hardware a nice bright red.
Here's the before again.
And the happified after.
It was so easy an inexpensive to totally transform this piece into a bright and happy place to display my future milk glass collection. I've always admired milk glass and now I have a place to show off my future finds. I'm so looking forward to garage sale season this year. Maybe I'll get lucky!

To check out the makeover of my old kitchen cupboards click here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Becky

How did you refinish the China closet?
    • Sma22310865

i think Bb is asking if you stripped the old paint or just put primer (if any) over it before painting it the new color. I'm curious too.
  • Kas2606116

Love the first one , before the makeover
    • Kathy alfke

I know what you mean after looking at something for years! It's amazing how a change can lift your spirits . I need to learn to pain my like you!!😃
  • Jcourtney

I love the cabinet as a whole and like the blue paint color enough but have you considered a brown glaze/wax on it to bring out all the little details the piece has? You just smear the glaze/wax on and wipe off letting it settle into the deeper crevices to make it pop, would look gorgeous here.
    • Color Me Thrifty

The details of the piece are much more noticeable in person than in the photos and pop much more than they did with the dark colour of the before. Personally, I'm not a fan of brown glazes or waxes that have a toning down effect on bright colours. I have blogging friends who do the antiquing thing and create beautiful pieces, but it's just not for me. I'm more into a funky retro vibe than an antique one. For me it's all about colour and pattern, and I love fun, light, and bright. I appreciate the suggestion, and I know it would totally work for someone who loves that look.

• Kathy Voisin Zeuty

I inherited one with a mirrored back. Now I have ideas how to cover it!!! Thanks
  • Debbie

what a fun idea ! I love the way that you woke up the cabinet , it seemed so tired before and without personality . Great job