Is it safe to use pressure-treated wood for raised veggie garden beds?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAKay fredricksJanet Pizaro
+4

• Beth Shorts

I would absolutely not use pressure-treated wood around vegetables and fruits. Instead, why not look at using the new resin/composite "woods" that will last pretty much forever, and aren't laced with all the awful chemicals used in pressure treating wood.

Please read this article. www.finegardening.com/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-garden-beds

It worked for me
  • Kay fredricks

From everything that I've researched and read and visited with local nurseries about, the answer to your question is absolutely not! The treated lumber is treated with chemicals to keep the wood from rotting and those chemicals can leach into your soil and taint every plant in there and put those poisons into your produce or your flowers. In many cases it will also cause your plants not to grow in the first place. Now you are going to have to not only dismantle the wood bed itself, but also dispose of all that tainted soil as well. You will not be able to reuse it in garden beds again.
  • A big fat no. The chemicals leech into the soil then your plants. Choose a redwood or cedar if possible.