T
T
  • United Kingdom

We have no worms in our allotment. do we need to buy some ?

TJust peachyNancy Turner
+2

• Shoshana

A lack of earthworms in your soil usually indicates lack of organic matter. If you work in organic matter into your soil, it will be healthier and earthworms will appear.
  • Nancy Turner

Wish I could send you some of mine, I planted some peppers and the little bit I had to dig up for the holes must have had a half dozen night crawlers and the smaller earthworms in each hole. I amend my garden with two year old mulched leaves each year tilled each spring and cover with last seasons shredded leaves as mulch. We never have to purchase worms for fishing!
  • Just peachy

If you want to attract them and you have an empty area in your yard that maybe you would like to plant in the future try cardboard. Put a couple pieces of cardboard down, secure it with rocks or something heavy. Water the cardboard every day. Check under the cardboard after about a week. There should be plenty of worms under it.
  • T

We have just mulched with lots of well rotted manure so hopefully this will bring in some worms
    Thanks