Aeron
Aeron
  • Canada

What can I do with old chalkboard slate?

AeronC. D. ScallanDysko7710
+3

I have 3 large pieces of blackboard slate I obtained years ago when an old elementary school was being torn down. Each piece is 42" x 49" and 1/4" thick. Can I use it to make kitchen countertops? If so, would I use a tile saw to cut it? And does it need to be treated or sealed with anything? What other uses might it have?
  • Elizabeth Dion

Got any grandchildren? I'd find a spot to hang a piece for them to draw on. You could also cut down a piece, frame it in and hang it on your kitchen door. Great place to run a grocery list on or use it for 'Command Central' space in your home to keep track of everyone's comings and goings. Not sure what type of saw you would need to cut it but I'm sure the employees at Lowe's or Home Depot could advise you.
    • Aeron

Thank-you for the ideas. No kids/grandkids... and I live solo, so I'm the only one who needs to know where I'm going and when. My shopping list goes straight onto my smartphone, before I forget. I guess I'm looking for uses other than a chalkboard. You are right. The folks at the hardware or big box stores will likely know how to cut the slate. Thanks.

• DebraLW

I don't know about kitchen countertops. I wouldn't think they would hold up to the wear & tear. I think hanging them would be better. Or making an entire focal wall. Do you have a worksho? Great for drawing out ideas, listing materials, etc.
  • Dysko7710

You could use them to make a table, or several tables maybe? Would be fun for guests to have a blackboard table to sketch on. Just an idea, not sure how it might work out practically speaking.
  • C. D. Scallan

If you can't find a way to use them in your own home , check with local churches . Bible studies and religion classes for children would probably not turn them away .
  • Aeron

Thank you everybody, for your suggestions. I think I'll be using some for a fireplace surround and hearth. And the rest for countertop. I've found a site that explains how to do it.