How do you divide a begonia?

JudyJanet PizaroBetsy
+3

Have a begonia with more roots than leaves. How much of the rhizome do you need for new plants.

Is this a house plant?
  • Elizabeth Dion

I generally split my new plants in half, add sime cinnamon (it's a rooting compound) and put the newly split plants in pots or in the ground with some flower/vegetable soil and composted manure. Begonia's like shade. Hope this helps.

I think I would be able to make 5 or 6 new plants as the pot it is in is rather large. Does it matter if you get the whole rhizome or just a pieces of them.

I would take the whole plant out of the pot so you can see where to separate the roots.Once that is accomplished re-pot in the appropriate size with fresh soil
  • Judy

When a person says LARGE . . how large? What is large to one person, won't be large to another. Can you take a pic and show us? I would use a shovel, cut it in half, and if it is large enough, then do it again. Be sure to plant at dusk, in a nice hole, with water, and peat moss, and cover the main stem as soon as you can. I would try to keep this in sun, also. Enjoy, and best wishes, J. The storm is coming in, so I am having trouble staying on line, J. Hope you get this ok.