Mosaic Fish

$5-10

Empty wine bottles, shards of a mirror and glass nuggets turned into a fish decoration for my backyard
mosaic fish
Colourful bottles were piling up in our cellar.....Lightweight concrete blocks can be shaped easily in form. You can use saws, graters and files. It is better to work outside, as it produces a lot of dust. Wear a mask for health reasons.
mosaic fish
I drilled a hole and added an iron rod to stick it into the ground later. The stick is glued into the fish body by tile adhesive.
mosaic fish
I started with the face and worked my way around the eye. If you like, you can draw the patterns first or just follow your intuition.
mosaic fish
You need a lot of shards to go on. This is a standard German wine bottle in green. I smashed it either in a bag with a cloth around it or in a bucket full of water. Please make sure to wear eye protection.
mosaic fish
This is a German prosecco bottle in a wonderful blue colour. Collect bottles, old vases, whatever colours you like.
mosaic fish
Around the eyes I used samples from a tile market. They were glued onto a plastic shield. You can remove them from the shield by soaking them in luke warm water.
mosaic fish
There are various types of pincers on the marked for breaking tiles or glass. The right one is the cheapest hardware store one and at the same time my favourite one, as it is strong and easy to handle. They help you to get the size of shards you want to use (wear eye protection).
mosaic fish
For gluing the shards onto your object, you have to add water to your tile adhesive. It should have a texture of thick yoghurt. Of course, there are instructions on the package. The tiny spatula helps to apply the adhesive. You might also like to add the adhesive to your shard and stick it on the object then.
mosaic fish
Here is the fish with all the shards glued onto it. I decided to finish one side first, before adding shards to the other side and added the grout on this side first before finishinig the other side.
mosaic fish
Water has to be added to the grout (just like you have already done for the tile adhesive). The texture should be the same, thick yoghourt. A tiny spatula makes it easier to apply it. Just try to fill the gaps and sratch off the surplus grout mud.
mosaic fish
When the grout has dried half-way, you can wipe off any surplus with an old cloth. The right point of time is easy to find: when too much of the grout disappears between the shards, it's too early. But don't wait too long, when it's getting hard it will be impossible to remove.
It took me two days, as I decided to let everyhing dry well before going on. The adhesive needs a day to become hard and durable, with the grout you can turn the fish over in a few hours.
mosaic fish
mosaic fish
A very easy and rather cheap project.

As I'm from Germany, I don't really know your products. But if you have any questions, please contact me.
The German tutorial can be found here:
https://www.die-kleine-perlenwerkstatt.com/blog/

• Pri24763146

where did you get a light weight cement block?
  • Crystal

This is absolutely beautiful. Well done. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for showing us.

• Denise Robertson

I really love this whole idea and want to make several. I noticed the rod is very slender and short. I’m guessing it sits close to the ground. Any ideas on a longer rod out of? So that I might have them intermittent 2’ - 4’ above the ground? Thank you!

• Joy

I love this idea! We have a koi pond and this would look so adorable by it.

Do you sell these?

• Da.herrmann

Dear Joy,

Thank you very much. I haven't sold them up to now, just gave them away as birthday presents. I live in Bavaria, Germany, so, I guess that's too expensive to dispatch them to the States. But they are really easy to make. Just try and have fun.