Paulette and Doug
Paulette and Doug
  • North Sioux City, SD

When is it too late to separate Hostas?

Paulette and DougMary LouBernice H
+7

Hostas should be transplanted in late September for best results.
  • Pam Lindau

We transplant in early spring when they are just starting to unfurl their leaves and have not had an issue with any not taking. But have also divided up very large ones throughout the summer and fall without any adverse effects.
  • Bulldog

I do mine in early spring
  • Barb T

It is never too late, but spring and fall are the best times.

• Bernice H

I have divided almost any time of the year except in winter when freezing and snow. If it is quite hot out ,do it early in morning and stick them in water until planted in well watered new spot. I have also divided in two ways. Take the whole plant up and pull apart..or take shovel and cut straight down into the plant and rock shovel to take portion you want. They are so hardy and recover easily. Almost as if they are saying...thank you...now I can move my feet!🤗
  • Mary Lou

Spring and summer are best for dividing most plants. However, hostas are pretty indestructible. I live in the northeast, and the only time I haven't tried it is winter. Never lost one yet!
  • Paulette and Doug

thanks
  • Paulette and Doug

thanks