Thrift Store Gardening: DIY Planters

$10.00

No matter the season, the thrift store always has treasures just waiting to be found! I especially love shopping during gardening season though because the possibilities for planters and garden decor abound. All it takes is a little patience and a wide-open imagination.
I'd been looking for a colander just like this for a while (that's the patience part).

When I finally found it, I snatched it up and poked around for a couple more pieces that would work together to make a planter.

I found this lovely blue candle holder for $2, and a Pfaltzgraff plate for $1. Along with my $2 colander, I had a plant stand in the making for just $5!
I started with a good coat of glue along the top of the candle holder. Gorilla glue is my absolute favorite, and if you want to hear me go on and on about how wonderful it is, just hang around for a while. I love this stuff!
It's a pretty straight-forward process. Next, I centered the plate on the candle holder. It had a nice little handy section right in the middle that made it easy to get it glued right in place.
Finally, I glued the colander onto the plate and let it dry. You probably notice those globs of glue edging out from under the feet of the colander. That's nothing to worry about. After a good cure time (at least 24 hours - this project got about 36) those dried pieces of extra glue were a snap to trim right off with an Xacto knife.
I decided to give this one a coat of primer - mostly because of the paint finish I planned to use. I didn't want to use more paint than I had to because these specialty finishes are not inexpensive. Primer is.
Since the stand will be outdoors, I gave it a clear coat to protect it from the weather.

After the paint was dry, I lined the colander with coco fiber, added some potting soil, and 4 small plants. All done!

I love my little thrifted plant stand that cost just over $10, paint included.

Don't you just love a great thrift store find? All it takes is a little patience and a wide-open imagination. Have fun!

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
To Work With My Hands

• Carrie Ervin Divine

🎶 I love it! 🎶 Am headed to Goodwill as we speak! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Joanie

I have my Mom's colander, identical to yours. I display it. This is a great idea.......in fact I love it! I was going to use mine as a hangin' light.....never got around to it!!