Best way to paint red brick fireplace?Grey or white wash & what paint?

Fiddledd224HelenCaseyem11
+4

Painting is a matter of your preference.Do you prefer a white washed appearance or a gray appearance?
  • Fran

probably white wash, but like t he grey too..may paint samples and make decision
  • Linda Sikut

I had black & white Z-brick with black mastic that was so 70's. My husband & I installed it, but after 40+ years, I was sick of it. I personally don't like the look of painted brick. I ended up 'white-washing' it but I used regular watered down white latex paint. (4 parts water to 1 part paint - be careful at first, it's very runny) I 'stippled' the black part, brushed paint on the brick, then used a damp sponge to go over the brick until I got the effect I wanted. The black part ended up needing two coats to 'calm' it down, but we love the final look.
    , Half way done so you can see the difference, White washed with 4 parts water 1 part white paint
  • Fran

I like that its shuttle , good job & thanks for sharing.

• Caseyem11

I had an enormous red brick fireplace. I painted it with the same paint I used for the trim. A semigloss latex paint. LoFed it. the paint made it much easier the clean.
  • Helen

What color? I have huge floor to wall
  • Fiddledd224

It depends on the colors in the room. If you have warm colors, use a warm finish (browns, beiges, taupes). If you have cool colors or primary colors use white. Ask the paint pros at your home improvement store for the paints and materials you need.