Pavers or poured cement borders?

Nancy TurnerJanice SoczkaWally seeley
+1

I live in Minnesota where it freezes and thaws several times a year. Do you recommend pavers for edging or stamped concrete? I am concerned about the pavers "heaving" after a couple years.
  • Diane Boone

I would feel more comfortable using pavers. If they lift up, you can always reset them. If the concrete freezes and cracks, it could be a huge replacement cost. If you use pavers, make certain you do not join them together with concrete or and type mortar. Fill in the spaces with sand or small pebbles.
  • Wally seeley

I agree with Diane
  • Janice Soczka

I agree. Live in Wisconsin and put in pavers. The first year we had some pavers heave up in spring when the frost was coming out of the ground but they settled into place and we did not need to do anything to repair them. This year only 4 pavers heaved up. I initially put silica sand between the pavers And I think that may have contributed to heaving of the pavers. There is paver sand that will form a seal Between the bricks but allow for some movement . I added paver sand the next year which seemed to help
  • Nancy Turner

I put pavers in front of the house under the living room windows last year. I put regular sand between them, but they are really close together so they didn't take much. I did not have any heave up, but they aren't used for a pathway, more as a small patio to put an outdoor love seat and two end tables and two half barrel planters. Had to do something, the shrubs that were there when we moved in were way past replacement time. We didn't go fancy, just flat 12x12 red pavers so that the area would be flat for putting the furniture and planters in that area.