What can I grow in backyard?

JulieNancy GrammDiane Boone
+5

I have a beautiful garden in my backyard. It does well because there is a creek behind it. I have tons of pine trees also, therefore I absolutely can't grow grass. I have no idea what to do
  • Bonnie Shraudet

I also have a creek close to my house and what grows best in my area are, Tiger lilies, all types of ferns, and tall grasses,
  • Vanessa

If grass does not grow you can try Irish moss, it pretty and can thrive anywhere.
  • Bulldog

i have hostas planted under my pine tree and they do very well
  • Sandra Allen

All good ideas. Have you thought of a rock garden? Perhaps with a trail to the creek with a bench to sit in? Sounds like heaven to me!!

What is your location so the correct plants can be chosen? Lighting conditions as well?
  • Diane Boone

I would suggest planting a shade loving ground cover. Suggestions liriope (a low growing variety), minature mondo grass. Check with your Extension agent. They will be able to assist you in choosing the best plant for you location.
  • Nancy Gramm

What about St. Augustine grass? It does well in shade.
  • Julie

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC. I thought of ground cover just not sure what kind. It is Tracy a large area with my garden in front of creek