How can I stop tree runners?

Patricia De Franco RiniLinda Lamoureux CarterDiane Boone
+2

I have a tree that sends out almost a hundred runners not only into the yard, but they're also infiltrating the garden where they are harder to reach and cut down. The tree provides the only shade (we live in FL) so we hesitate to cut it down. Any suggestions?
  • Sandra Allen

Cut the tree and get some awnings or umbrellas. The trees will eventually effect your plumbing if it's any where close to the house.
    As for the timing, you can purchase things that will make the tree die slowly so you might get another summer out of it. But it will die from the roots up so that might be the best solution.
  • Diane Boone

Don't just cut down the runners. Dig them up making certain you have dug up the roots. Itmay take a while to get them to stop coming in, but it will work. Cuttine them down only leaves the roots to send up another sucker.
  • Linda Lamoureux Carter

I've had this problem for over 30 years! the tree is still growing strong....
  • Patricia De Franco Rini

I live in Florida also...is it a ficus tree??these can really ruin your water systems...I have a hong kong orchid tree that has big shallow roots and to keep it from ruining my paver patio I have to buy a reciprocating saw and saw the root all the way thru..not an easy task..and needed a lot of blades as the sandy soil dulled them fast...can you tell us what kind of tree it is...the shooting star also sends out runners and seeds itself too ..another hard to keep up tree...good luck...
    , These are my shooting stars and they get cut to the ground every year now I started with one stalk from a friend and now they are everywhere in my yard hard to keep them under control
  • Patricia De Franco Rini

The shooting star can be a tree or a shrub depending how you trim it !!