John Boutwell
John Boutwell
  • Maynardville, TN

How do you tell if your table lamps are Crystal or just glass?

DaleNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAJohn Boutwell
+6

I have a pair of lamps that I got a a church sale and they look like Crystal but how do I tell for sure?'I know how to tell if a wine glass is you just ding it to make it ring but these are very tight to the metal and do nothing.
can I loosen them up some or is that not a good idea?
thanks for any help
  • Kim P Guyer

Crystal contains lead...which refracts and disperses the light, causing a rainbow effect. Glass does not do this
  • John Boutwell

ok great but how do you do this?
    hold it up to the light or something?
  • Nancy Gramm

I was going to say the ring-y thing as well, but Kim's idea is a good one. IMO crystal has a very different look than glass. It's weightier and has a fine shine. I know it's gone out of fashion, but I still love the look of it. Can you show pics?
    • Nancy Gramm

I'm with you, Naomie. I have a couple of Waterford lamps that I use in the master bedroom. They have a quality far beyond so many of the ones popular in the mid-90s, and I still love them, but hey that was 20 years ago. The time she does fly!
  • John Boutwell

I love these lamps, they weigh about 10 lbs each

• Those are very pretty lamps regardless of whether or not they are crystal. I can generally tell by the "ping" - I would take to a reputable antique dealer in town and ask. Back when these were made, even pressed glass were attached to weighted bases to keep them from tipping over.
  • Dale

Don't have an answer, but curious about my lamp I found in mother in laws house. I believe its crystal. I know it's very old, shes been having since I'm 20, now in 60's. Wondering its value