How do I paint panelling?

Cathy9530106William
+1

I have dark panelling that I want to paint to lighten up the room. I know I need to wash the panelling down and be sure it is dry before proceeding. I've seen Kilz colored paint at my local Walmart. If I use this, is that all I need to do? Thanks for any tips!
  • Pat

We used a white kiltz on our dark paneling and then when it was dry painted over it with regular paint.

Lightly sand to remove any shine and roughen for paint. I haven't seen Kilz colored paint. Unless it was primer that was tinted for someone. Priming is a must then paint. If yours has grooves and you want smooth walls you can use drywall patching compound to cover the grooves.
  • 9530106

You could try a dry-brush technique, to give it a weathered appearance. Less time consuming, and very attractive, if you like that look!
  • Cathy

I bought a white Kilz paint at WalMart. The paneling was really dark so we thought it would need two coats. However, we didn't and it actually gave it a milk wash look to it, which was perfect because I am in to Primitives.