Re doing stairs!

Cindy Carroll DenningCarolynPatricia
+4

I'm so mad right now on the builds s that built our house! I took the 20 plus year old carpet off the stairs. I want to paint them and have no carpet! But NO the builders left big wholes and paint stains and stuff on the stairs plus they are not all the same size! I gave to try and get carpet off the walls before i can go any further! Do you have pictures of finish DYI stairs! I'm looking for uniqu or my own design. The replacement if solid iak are almost 80 pwe board! we have 13 steps! Not a in cheap option! wishing I had my dads woodworking tools!

I was a Homebuilder for 20+ years. Many builders would leave the construction grade lumber stairs since they will be covered with carpeting. As goes the same with using wafer board for floor underlayment when carpeting will be covering it. They cut their costs that way. My company never did that. We always anticipated based on what we personally would expect a new home.

• Judy Ferrell

Could you maybe try something cheaper, like a finish grade plywood or maybe even the hardwood flooring? I know it might mean more work but that might be your only option.
  • Patricia

There are some really creative ideas for painted stairs here on Hometalk. http://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=painted%20stairs

Fill the holes with wood filler and use a mouse sander to achieve a smooth surface. Depending on the type of paint you will use you might need to put a coat of primer down first. Be sure to take before and after photos so we can see your finished project! Good luck!
  • Cindy Carroll Denning

You are one of the good ones then! I was thinks no of staining the beaver board on the back of the steps, but the very top step is a couple of 2 x4's! thanks for your comment.
  • Carolyn

When you paint, consider doing every other step so the stairs are still usable. After they dry do the others.
  • Cindy Carroll Denning

Thank you