Wendy Bresnahan
Wendy Bresnahan
  • O Fallon, MO

Should I put butcher block countertops in around my kitchen sink?

Wendy BresnahanJacks BetaJody Fredricks
+2

I want do a cheap remodel and have an inexpensive piece of butcher block. How long will it really last near water if I poli 3 coats?
  • Susan Savarese

Hi Wendy: I've seen butcher block countertops many times. My island is butcher block and I use it all the time and it's fine. I have no poly on it at all. Of course it's not near the sink though. I think it'll be fine and look fantastic.
  • C. D. Scallan

You may find yourself having to recoat it if you use polyurethane . I'd consider a marine sealant , just because of the exposure to the water .
  • Jody Fredricks

I put the marine sealant on a dresser that I converted into a vanity and it holds up great. 1-2 coats, let dry over night, done.

• Jacks Beta

I bought my butcher blocks at Ikea, they come pre-sealed. I never resealed them or anything. A year and half later they look as good as new. I oil them up every other month and that's it.
  • Wendy Bresnahan

i love them but was afraid of the water. This answers my question. Thanks.