How do I avoid cats doing their business in my garden?

Deb22697103AlradbornStephanie Witkowski Posey
+2

Some of the remedies I already tried: garlic, ground pepper, orange peels, coffee, balloons.

Sprinkle cayenne pepper or chili powder around. One sniff and they'll remember. May need to reapply. Won't hurt the cats or plants.
  • Ronda Jaramillo

I used coffee grounds and orange peels. It seemed to work but you have to replenish frequently. You can buy a cat repellant at the garden store. Either in spray or granules.
  • Stephanie Witkowski Posey

Mouse traps. Don't look great but it doesn't take long for them to get the idea Then you can take them up. Reusable if they need a reminder. I use them in my potted plants. My dog likes to dig in them. She has never gotten snapped but has set them off and hates the noise so avoids them now.
  • Alradborn

Mouse traps are flat out cruel. I trap them and take to shelter(no kill) or spay and release (I back to Corp. land) Cats in the area are there usually for three reasons, they are your neighbors cat, they are in mating season or they are hunting for food.
  • Deb22697103

I would put some stakes in the garden and hang empty aluminum pie plates to dangle and be noisy then I'd get some herbal plants that cats don't like and plant them around the perimeter of the garden. Also there is cat repellent or four paws repellent you could try.