Maureen M Davies
Maureen M Davies
  • Detroit, MI

My granddaughter wants to start her own garden.

RayFiddledd224Caseyem11
+10

I would like her to be successful. Any ideas as to what to plant. She is 7.
  • Steve Robbins

Cucumbers. They are the easiest to start from seed and usually takes less than one week to sprout.
  • Jayme Rudolph

If it is a small flower garden, Teddy Bear sunflower seeds, and zinnia seeds . Both are really easy to grow, and provide nice cut flowers for indoors.
  • Stephanie Witkowski Posey

Always radishes! They come up quick and always produce. Squash. She'll have plenty to share. A pot of strawberries. Many herbs are easy to grow too. Ask her what her favorite vegies are and try those. Add a few flowers marigolds, zinnias and sunflowers are easy. I would encourage you to do a little research with her to find plants that attract butterflies, bees and birds. This is a great thing you are doing!! Enjoy 💕
  • Gail

Bell peppers, onions, loofah, sweet potatoes, sun flowers, cherry tomatoes and radishes are very easy and fun to grow. In addition, scrap gardening is where you plant an onion that has sprouted, or the end of the celery, cabbage scraps, sprouted potatoes, pineapple tops. Takes several years to grow a pineapple. She will remember this special time with her Grandmother all of her life even if the garden is not what she expected. Best wishes.
  • John

start with something super easy like a window garden of herbs or succulents....succulents are very tolerant of sporadic watering. I wouldn't do a large area outside for maintenance reasons....weeding, watering, rabbits, squirrels,etc. At age 7 my daughters had very short attention spans and when they did not get immediate results they soon lost interest
  • Just peachy

Beets and radishes are super easy to grow. They also seem to have fewer pests. I spend every year battling cucumber beetles and stink bugs. The beets (which I grow but don't really eat) and radishes planted nearby are usually untouched by the critters.

Sun flowers are a good starting point for children.
  • Nancy Turner

See what her favorite veggies are and start with them, as you know she will anticipate eating them. With green beans and corn, start them on damp sponges till they sprout, that is fun or kids to watch, then plant them. It also hastens the time for them to sprout compared to planting them in the ground straight away. Kudos for helping your grand daughter with a garden. You may have a future gardener starting to happen. My start was pulling weeds when I was real little, and it never stopped.
  • Caseyem11

Coleus are easy to start from seed.
  • Fiddledd224

Start with sunflowers. They are so easy to grow, so big and beautiful and so easy to dry that she should be happy.
  • Ray

Radishes are excellent because they're ready to harvest after only three weeks.