How to make bird bath bowl for my existing birdbath stand?

Elfriede SchmidtBarbKatherine Gardella Hien
+13

Can't seem to find one I like near as much as this one w/out paying more than my mortgage for it.
q how to make bird bath bowl for my existing birdbath stand
3 pc. base seems fine. raised edges of bowl have crumbled away. Bird is cracked all over and will not last long.
  • Jill

How about making a chicken wire frame work and using hypertufa for a light weight base. See if you can incorporate the sturdy remains of the old one if useable. After pictures please........!
  • Nancy Gramm

How about covering the existing bowl/bird with a film of concrete. People do it with countertops. Here's a link for someone covering laminate: http://www.lovelyimperfection.com/diy-concrete-countertops-over-laminate-surfaces/ I would think you could use the basic technique to at least hold your bird together, though maybe not replace the crumbled edges of the bowl. Good luck.
  • And1639926

I read somewhere to use a large plant plate Use that as a mold and create the birdbath from concrete mix.
  • C. D. Scallan

Have you looked on Amazon for new bowls or kits to make bird bath bowls? If you can't find it , I've learned it's because you probably weren't specific enough in the wording . Maybe you can find a mold , buy the concrete locally and make one yourself .
    • Me

Use large terracotta saucer as base, put plastic wrap then pour concrete for allow to cure then remove from plastic wrap.
  • Patricia

I always thought concrete was hard to use-- but now there're many products you could use to attach a new "bath" together.
  • Joa23251547

I would pick up a bag of quik crete without the pebbles and try to craft one to my dimensions. Then (when it's done) stain both pieces to match. If you mess it up you've only invested $10.00....
  • Lok12371318

A digging I shall go. ....
  • Mary DeHaven

I'd ask a mason, if you know of one. Or a landscaper. Or an experienced person at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Or someone who sells birdbaths and other lawn pieces. Maybe they can help. Otherwise, I'd use quick-crete and at least give it a shot. Good luck. Would love to know how it turns out!
  • Doreen Kennedy

All my bird baths have succumbed to the winter weather as well. I'be used various things in place of the bath vessels and stands. None of them are really fancy, but the birds seem to like them just fine. Here are a few pictures of my mismatched birdbaths. One of them is just a terra-cotta saucer that I repaint every 3 years or so with a random metal stand I found in someone's trash. You can see it in the garden and in my basement picture. They second birdbath was just about a total loss so I poured a bottom for the base and purchased a $5.00 glazed bowl. The third one I managed to save the base and painted it to match the pottery saucer I found at a yard sale. Anyway, I hope you find this helpful.
  • Gorky Pal

I am on the look out for a half chopped tree. If I can make a dofference with nature. eg. A cage? bird's bath etc ? Any idea ?
  • Katherine Gardella Hien

We had an early freeze one winter & my top froze, then cracked apart... I went to the garden shop at Home Depot and found a large pot-saucer! It's totally glazed so it's waterproof!
  • Barb

Here's my thrify bird bath, buy old punch bowl and old wine bottle or glass vase from receivied past flowers and a copper or and pole and use E600 glue works great with glass. Hers some picture ideas for you.
    , Purchase any bird and spray paint it in color or gold or sliver and glue to side or turn glass cup over glue to center then the bird
  • Elfriede Schmidt

I am trying to craft one out of an obsolete TV antenna dish. This could also be hang on a tree branch... we put one up and the robins are frolicking in it. Easy to tip and clean with the garden hose.