Paint or Stain?

Barb MaillouxLisa ReichLkt9844835
+14

Any suggestions, on this table? I cannot decide. I was either going to destress it or stain it a lighter color.
  • C. D. Scallan

I would strip it first then maybe stain it a lighter color . It's a beautiful piece .
  • Debbie Miller

I think it would be beautiful to strip off the old finish so that the beauty of the natural would can show through a coat or two of satin polyurathane. I don't know how that might affect its antique value, if that is a concern.
  • Jodi Murray Hendon

I have a similar old table, not an antique--just old, and I stripped off the finish with Formby's and used Tung Oil on the bottom and legs. I did a blue faux marble finish for the top and it turned out really nice. Faux marbling is easy.
  • C

It may not be an antique (100 yrs old) but it definitely is Vintage and every year it gets closer to antique. Beautiful table. Definitely stain it.
  • Bernie Rose

Take it down to the wood, then decide what color to stain it. You can always go back later & paint it if you aren`t happy with it. Remember: You can paint stain, but you can`t stain paint.
  • Joanie

Stain for sure.....when it grains again, it will show its happiness. .....it can breathe and show its true colors. Love antiques and this is a beautiful show piece. Don't paint it, don't take away it beauty of yesterday.....
  • Teri

I am really into chalk painting now. It adds a spark of color to a room. It's very easy to do .
    • Cara Maloney

I agree! Annie Sloan Chalk paint: use County Grey on the bottom (two coats plus a coat of wax finish) then use java gel stain on the top table part, with a coat of finish. No stripping required
  • Patti

I would clean it , strip it and seal it & just keep the natural color
  • Lan15571865

Beautiful piece. I would stain it. Worst case I would refinish and stain the top and only chalk paint the legs.
  • Mary DeHaven

I like to think of it as being restored. I'd stain it an in-between stain that would suite any décor. But you may have a particular use in mind. It's interesting to see how others modernize furniture with painting and faux finishes, but it's not me. Wood is beautiful just the way it is.
  • David

I love wood, so I wouldn't recommend painting. I have several similar tables which looked about the same. I was able to match the finish with careful application of stain, then apply a clear protective coat. Another table was much worst than yours, and I stripped it, then lightly stained it, and applied a matt finish. The wood grain is so deep and rich looking. I love the way it turned out, and have received many complements. So, go for it, if you want to lighten it, I'm certain you won't regret it!
  • MaLisa

That is so awesome for all the advice.... ok sounds like everyone agrees with stain and no paint.
    I picked that table up at GoodWill for $40 i liked it as soon as i saw it.
  • Lkt9844835

I would try some Orange Glo furniture oil before stripping it. You may be surprised. If it has some spots that have lost the finish it may need to have the top sanded and a clear coat. The legs look to be in good shape
  • Lisa Reich

I would strip in down to see what kind of wood is underneath. If the wood is interesting, stain it a lighter colour to bring out the grain. I might even use two kinds of stain to emphasise the cut out pattern. If it is not so interesting, I would look into chalk paint and then create a distressed look.
  • Barb Mailloux

I picked up a Goodwill drop leaf table and was like you--not sure what to Do! .....I finally stripped top to beautiful wood and refinished. Bottom chalk painted, distressed, waxed with clear then dark wax. Everyone loves it! Have FUN😊