We have a short growing season. . .what is the best veggie to grow?

C.B.Angela LeyRichardstarling
+1

• Elizabeth

Hi,
    I have a short season also. What I grow is crocket neck summer squash in the ground and scallions, onions in a pot. The squash grows quickly and you gat tons of them. I slice them up, skins on, and put in small freezer bags in the freezer till I want a nice summer squash all winter long. The scallions grow tall and I cut the tops off for everything, soups, salads, meatballs, tuna fish, etc... all summer long. If you leave some with the tops they will grow into onions.
    Happy gardening!
  • Richardstarling

On all your vegetable packages there is information on the front and back you want the vegetable package that states early meaning short growing time. I also start mine in the house about January . We made a seed growing station using a flouriest light with a cool bulb and a warm bulb in each light. This was used to provide the full spectrum of heat and light for the optimum growing conditions.
  • Angela Ley

I would suggest stating them indoors.
  • C.B.

Check your local mail order catalog for your 'zone' & then look at the vegetables they have for sale for your zone & the package will tell the growing season length. NOTE: for 'warmer beds' for growing in short season areas...make raised beds & plant in them.