Thrift Diving
Thrift Diving
  • Silver Spring, MD

Strip Furniture: A Natural Wood Furniture Makeover

Do you know how to strip furniture? I’ll admit that since I’ve learned more about wood, I’m falling in love with the look of natural wood furniture after stripping off the existing finish. I know that painted furniture is still a hot commodity, but there’s nothing like raw, gorgeous wood, guys.

See how I transformed this $59.99 drafting table from the thrift store.
strip furniture a natural wood furniture makeover
It was in good condition. Very solid. But I didn't have a use for a drafting table.
I had to use a variety of products to strip this table. First, I had to remove the top, and then remove the metal feet. I planned to put caster wheels.
Stripping furniture is messy! Click below on my blog post link for more step-by-step instructions on how to strip wood furniture and the tools and materials you'll need.

Onc
Once completed, it looks great with the new wheels and hooks!
This old drafting table now looks modern and clean and can be used for a workbench, or even a kitchen island!

Get the complete tutorial on my original blog post!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more DIY projects: http://www.youtube.com/user/thriftdiving

Thrift Diving

• Ardale

Just an idea, you could have cut the removed top down to fit under the table and ended up with a nice solid shelf under your table to store items or baskets on. This would indeed make a nice kitchen island especially if limited on available floor space or it would make a great movable BBQ table or even a nice work bench in the garage. The uses are only limited by your imagination and need. Like you I love the beauty of the natural wood grain either stained or unstained and growingly hate that nearly ever piece of furniture now a days has painted slapped or slathered on it. I for one will be happy when this fad phases out before there are no true antiques left in this country that are worth any thing. I know this piece isn't antique but still happy your restored it instead of ruining it like so many people do. Turned out beautiful!
  • Charly

I agree with you. I love wood furniture. I hate to see beautiful wood painted. And I have no problem mixing woods in a room. When you walk in the forest don't you see different kinds of trees? Oak, pine, cherry. You get the idea.
  • Rachel

where did you get the stain from?

• Joanna Smith

Thank You, Thank You, for respecting the natural wood! I almost cry when I see what people do to beautiful pieces with horrible colors and that nasty Unicorn Spit. GAG! There is nothing like natural wood grain.
    • Thrift Diving

I feel you on that! I like painting furniture, but the more I learn about wood, the more I am enjoying bring it back to life!

• Sherrie

This came out amazing!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the natural wood look. I'm not even very stoked about re-staining, just enjoy the natural beauty of all wood. I still have the solid wood dresser and night stands that came with my 1980's waterbed!! I stripped all that old dark varnish off, and OMG!!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I should post the before and after of the night stand. (I'm with you on the whole painting thing. I cringe when I see beautiful wood covered up with paint.) As a matter of fact, I live in an old farm house, built in 1902, and I am stripping the paint off of all the old woodwork. SO beautiful!