What is the trick to getting hydrangeas to flower?

Maria Corazon CrispinoCarol PriceVik
+2

They flowered the first year we had them. I cut the "dead" branches in the fall the first few years. Then was advised that I might have the kind that shouldn't be cut since they might be the kind that set out buds on last year's stalks. Has been several more years and still no flowers.
  • Lee fox

Trim dead limbs in spring . Fertilize with one cup aluminum sulfate and one cup epsom salts per two gallons . Makes for really true blue flowers !
  • Teri

They need tons of water. I had one that was so healthy and green and lush every year for about seven years without aNy flowers. Then all of a sudden it started to bloom and has every year since then!
  • Vik

on a fertilizer package there will be 3 numbers like 10-10-10, etc. the first number promotes bloom. get something with a high first number. you might find a 30-15-10 as example. if liquid fertilizer, use every time you water.
  • Carol Price

Hydrangeas set buds for flowers on the OLD branches. Lots of water, fertilize with fish emulsion and Epsom salts mixed in water occasionally, as well. My hydrangea blooms pink, blue and purple all at the same time. Good luck.

• Maria Corazon Crispino

Red hydrangeas bloom on old branches. Trim them in Spring, just as it start to bear leaves.
    Blue/Pink/ Purple hydrangeas bloom on new branches. Trim them in Autumn to maintain shape.